supermonitor fubar'd with high pitch whine and erratic CEL

dreamweaver13

Feb 5, 2006
milford, MI
I got back in my car last night after picking up some wendy's. 30 seconds later, my car goes nuts! CEL is flashing unintelligibly. There is this super annoying high pitched whine coming from inside the dash. Car drives great and I get back to the hotel I'm staying at.

Thought it might be the factory alarm, so tried all the usual tricks. Locked and unlocked both driver and pass. side doors multiple times. Car off, car on, doors open, doors closed, key in, key out, hatch open and closed, hood open and closed - NOTHING would stop this high pitched whine. Unhooking the battery obviously stopped the sound, but hooking it back up after a minute or two and the whine was still there. Jumpered the TE1 and E1 terminals to check codes. CEL blinks fast and steady - no codes to report.

Didn't want to mess with the car anymore and went to bed. Went back outside around 10am this morning. Car was still whining! I tried all the tricks in the previous paragraph again - no luck. Started the car first try and went for a drive. Found an empty parking lot and figured out what the Check Engine Light was doing. At 0% throttle, the CEL would blink 2x per second - indefinitely (I watched it for 5 minutes and still blinking). As soon as I gave it any throttle, the CEL would stop and then resume 2 seconds later with a code 51. Keep in mind, I'm not in diag mode (do NOT have TE1 and E1 jumpered at the diagnostic block)

I drove around for maybe 20 minutes and the high-pitched whine just stopped. The CEL was still blinking. 10 minutes later, the CEL stopped flashing. Everything seemed back to normal. However, the supermonitor was blank. I remember it displaying all zeros before going blank, but don't remember in what order everything happened. Does the supermonitor have control over a speaker inside the dash?

Everything else electronic in the car works. Gauges, lights, radio, cig lighter, climate control, wipers, locks. Looked at the drivers side kickpanel and could not see any burned fuses. I disconnected and connected the supermonitor connector - now displays all 0s.

posting this in case this happens to anyone in the future - or any tips
thanks
Jordan

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
That's powerful queer alright. Can't say I've seen that. The Super Monitor talks to the ECU so it was probably involved. Remember, it can put the ECU into diagnostic mode. Could've been the Wendys too. Quit eating that stuff and the hallucinations will stop ;)