Stupid fuel & brake line question.

80083r

Ok, weather is getting nice enough to crawl under my car, so I'm thinking about what I can afford to do this year.

On my list of things to do is replace all the fuel and brake lines (hard lines included).

The reason I want to replace the lines is because of what I saw when I dropped the fuel tank to get the spare tire well welded two years ago - the fuel line going into the pump was very thin walled - so after 25ish years, I guess the flow of liquid has worn them down some.

Questions:
#1 Is there a better option than ordering oem replacements, or bending my own lines? I do not want to do this ever again, and I anticipate keeping this car for 30 years or so. I know that I want to replace the rubber hoses with braided stainless - is there something like that for the hard lines?

#2 How much of the underside of the car do I need to dis-assemble to run fuel and brake lines (I know I need to drop the tank for sure, done that once already)

#3 What is the scope of this job? Weekend, couple weekends, car on blocks for the summer?

I'm not a mechanic, I'm an engineering technician - sort of part millwright, part engineer, so I don't know cars (yet) as well as I'd like, but I'm familiar with the systems in it, except electrical stuff, that still baffles me.

**EDIT: I just realized this is probably in the wrong forum - it should be under MkIII general, so if one of the mods could move it, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Unless the lines are corroded on the outside or leaking i wouldnt even bother.

If you were going to replace the fuel lines tho i would use an hose and fittings. Like teflon braided nylon an hose.

80083r

Ah, yes - that's the kind of info I was looking for :) thanks.

I'm only doing this in the interest of being truly anal. I don't have the money to do it right (now) but over time, I want to do as much as I can the right way, and it seems like being able to stop, and not blow up is the place to start.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Make sure any fuel line hose you are going to use meets SAE J30R9. Also, submersible fuel injection hose rated SAE J30R10 is the only hose that will survive in-tank use.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Moved :)

Also, the lines are thin wall anyway, there wouldn't really be any "wear" on them unless it's corrosion, which in that case the tank would be just as badly rusted. It would be a lot of work for little gain. Now the soft lines are a different story as they'll dry rot, so not a bad idea to replace them.

80083r

Thanks for the move, Poodles :)

I was just a little concerned with how easily the fuel line broke off when I dropped the gas tank. That might have just been my ham-handedness though.

The inside of the tank was perfectly clean, the outside of everything is questionable...