stuck brakes

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
I'm trying to narrow down a problem I'm having with my brakes. I recently redid my engine bay so the brake boost and master cylinder were removed. Everything was reinstalled including a line lock device. The brakes were bleed and rebleed. I had some problems bleeding through the abs actuator but I rebleed them for the fourth time today and the fluid runs smooth on all four corners. When I start the car the brakes are applied without me touching the pedal. I see the pedal sink. I can pull the pedal back up with my foot but the pedal will fall again and the brakes are acting like its me hitting the pedal. Its almost as if the brake booster is working too well or the master cylinder isn't apply enough opposing force on the rod of the brake booster. I believe the line lock device isn't the problem because everything bleed fine. With the engine off, the system seems to work more normal. The brakes don't stick, but the pedal seems to take a long time to bounce back to its resting position.

So bad master cylinder or brake booster?

Thanks,
Dennis

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
After read this and learning more about how brake boosters work, I'm 99% sure I have a bad booster.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/129

My main problem is I have a CF wrapped booster. I prefer not to replace it. I want to rebuild it. I found a local company that rebuilds them for $129, which is perfect. However they cannot get a rebuild kit. Toyota does not make a rebuild kit. Does anyone know of a brake booster rebuild kit I can find online?

Thanks,
Dennis

p2000877_1.jpg

p2000877_2.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
aaron at driftmotion rebuilds them i believe.

It also looks like the cf is over the area where the master bolts up. Might be causing some leak issues.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i wouldnt mind learning how to rebuild them. theres a guy down the street from me that rebuilds the rarest of boosters in minutes it cant be that difficult heh