strength/weakness of transmissions

kozzman555

Sep 8, 2009
Ft. Benning, GA
i believe it was (oddly enough) in one of the 2jz cam swap into 1jz threads, someone mentioned that the r154 was kind of a weak transmission. that it could only handle around 350lbs/ft of tq before things started breaking. is this true and something i need to plan around when upgrading my car? how much power can my r154 handle? is there a way (other than a rebuild and cryo treatment) to strengthen them or will i need to upgrade to another tranny, like a custom t56 install or the v160(i think thats what it is)? any intelligent thoughts or advice would be great. thanks for your time

-adam

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
kozzman555;1406211 said:
ah, so either i misread the post or the person was an idiot lol. thanks. since i have you, do you know what the stock clutch hp/tq limit is?

It depends on the condition of course, but about 300-350ftlbs (at the wheels) is the limit.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
It also depends how you drive it. Unless you've reinforced things in the transmission, shockloading it can turn it into a slush box pretty quickly once you get into the 300's and 400's.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Not to hijack, but it goes along the lines, What are some good things to beef up the transmission? Are the Marlin crawler parts that much beefier?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
The bearing retainer plate stock sucks hardcore. Get the MC HD Bearing Retainer plate and the MC HD 1st gear thrust washer, blueprint the transmission, and go to town!

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
I was going to ask about the bearing retainer plate also. I havent heard of any promblems from it, yet I figured MC wouldn't have gone through all the trouble of redesigning a part thats not broken.

Doward, your just the person I wanted to hear it from too.:drink1: