strange boost loss

aintcare

May 10, 2013
Klamath falls Oregon
Hi, ive got an 88 supra with a 7mgte auto trans, ive been having weird boost issues for a while now. When i step into the boost the gauge (aftermarket) will fluuter some and boost does fine between 1-6psi but once i go wide open, will boost hard then hit 8psi with gauge flutter, then will go down to 4psi at higher rpm and wil cut out once before shifting over in pwr or norm mode. then do the same over again.

Mods are

DM fmic and 2.5 hardpipes

DM egr blockoff plates

3'' downpipe/catless straighpipe exhaust

k&n cone filter.

Wastegate is stock, i have made sure all intercooler clamps are tight as they can be, i rebuilt the top end about 1k ago with new head arp bolts new cx racing turbo (stock spec). i didnt have this issue before with only fmic and stock dp and exhaust. it would hit 6-6.5 psi with mild gauge flutter and not cut out. idle is fine, drives smooth otherwise. no overheating. didnt have codes at first but now i have a code 34 turbo pressure abnormal. i have read tons of boost leak threads alike and havent found an answer. insight or help on this would be awesome. not being able boost full on sucks especially with an auto.

Last edited:

aintcare

May 10, 2013
Klamath falls Oregon
cleaned my afm with some electronics cleaner to see if it was just dirty and took it out i guess, code 24. car idles but dies as soon as i tap throttle. so il update when i can get a new one, along with a new accordian hose, it has cracks where it mounts over the turbo housing. gotta love mk3's..

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Gotta love mk3s? You're kidding me.. You're complaining about a 20 some year old piece of rubber thats attached to a hot turbo its entire life... And ruining a karman vortex style air flow meter when most cans of MAF cleaner clearly say to not use on karman vortex style air flow meters...

aintcare

May 10, 2013
Klamath falls Oregon
the can says nothing about these sensors. i know how they work and why the cleaner made it fail. i am a student technician and am aware i made a mistake, and the new accordion hoses not being cheap nor any other part for my supra yeah i will complain about it. i was hoping to get some help, not be bashed.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Okay look. The CX Racing T61 turbo flows more air than the stock CT26. It's also been known that the CX Racing T61 bolt on turbo is junk. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?102040-T61-Bolt-on-Turbo-by-Cx-Racing

Second, if you have a code 34, that's abnormal boost pressure. You've got a boost leak and I know you've tightened down the intercooler clamps but you didn't fix anything. You need to pressurize the system after you've capped the throttle body off. Anything 2 3/4" that isn't sharp will work. If you pressurize the system and can't find any leaks, make sure your intake manifold bolts are tight. If all of this checks out, you'll have to bump up your supporting mods. That means you need to buy 550cc injectors and a lexus AFM housing at the very least but I'd go further than that.

Also, since you're a tech student, here's a little bit of info for you to read so you don't mistake a MAF for a AFM again. http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h34.pdf