stock wastegate not holding over 7psi?

speedfreak

SCruzer
May 16, 2006
santa cruz, ca.
hi all i was attempting to turn up the boost with my greddy profec b spec2 my old ct26 turbo held 12psi no prob i got a new wastegate with my 57 trim ct-26 and could only boost over 6psi for a second and then it would settle at 6psi, was wondering if i could simply tighten the wastegate actuator rod to hold my higher boost levels (eventually 15psi hopefully) can it be adjusted to hold this much without causing problems opening the wastegate?

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
Do you still have the old wg? Did you hook your boost controller up properly? How much does it run withut your boost controller installed?

speedfreak

SCruzer
May 16, 2006
santa cruz, ca.
i got rid of the old w/g. and i have the bc hooked up the same way i always had it, it seems to work on the initial spool when its turned up and reaches 9 or so psi for a second but then settles back to 6ish psi. when the bc is off it wont go over 6ish at all thanks for the response

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
What kind of controller are you using? I had that problem before too turned out to be a bad boost leak? check the diaphragm in wg. What new turbo are you running?

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
speedfreak;1595997 said:
hi all i was attempting to turn up the boost with my greddy profec b spec2 my old ct26 turbo held 12psi no prob i got a new wastegate with my 57 trim ct-26 and could only boost over 6psi for a second and then it would settle at 6psi, was wondering if i could simply tighten the wastegate actuator rod to hold my higher boost levels (eventually 15psi hopefully) can it be adjusted to hold this much without causing problems opening the wastegate?

89supra7mgte;1596102 said:
What kind of controller are you using? I had that problem before too turned out to be a bad boost leak? check the diaphragm in wg. What new turbo are you running?

speedfreak

SCruzer
May 16, 2006
santa cruz, ca.
^LOL i dont think its a vacuum or boost leak in the pipes, i would need to do a pressure test to be sure i guess but i think the problem is in the wastegate actuator, and now i see its not adjustable, ill replace it with my old one and try it out, btw how much pressure can the stock internal wastegate actuator handle?

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Do you have a boost guage? Vacume should be at -20 at idle , i suggest you double check your intercooler piping and clamps. Good luck and let us know any progress

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
isnt -20 on a near perfect engine? I am only running -15 and it jumps/drops to -18 on decel.

IIRC the stock wastegate has a 7lb spring. correct me if i am wrong.

speedfreak

SCruzer
May 16, 2006
santa cruz, ca.
i have two guages to read vacuum and boost i have the boost controller wich shows vacuum as a -99 which i think is a percentage and i have my sds standalone unit which shows me my vacuum in inches mercury i believe and that reads -18 at idle and -24 when engine braking they also have the same reading for boost in psi which still drops back to around 6psi idk whats going on

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
speedfreak;1596013 said:
i got rid of the old w/g. and i have the bc hooked up the same way i always had it, it seems to work on the initial spool when its turned up and reaches 9 or so psi for a second but then settles back to 6ish psi. when the bc is off it wont go over 6ish at all thanks for the response

I'd try bypassing the bc completely just to see if anything changes.

Also, it's possible to have a boost leak and not have a vac leak.