Stock Vs. Aftermarket gaskets

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Putting a single on my 1JZ and was wondering if most would recommend reusing the stock MLS exhaust manifold gaskets with the single manifold or using the metal/fiber gaskets that come with the manifold?

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
From my understanding the stock gaskets are fine to reuse, I've seen a few places talking about doing such a thing. I guess the important thing would be to inspect it and make sure it's in good shape and running order first.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Depending on the age of the gasket and if it reseals is what I would be worried about. If money is not scarce I would order those gaskets you need, or just buy an entire engine gasket kit. They're getting fewer and fewer and I am sure one day you will need some, and also people in the Supra or at least 1jz/2jz community.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
Since they were plain stainless MLS gaskets in good shape I reused them. I'll update on the seal when I get the single swap finished.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
92TealSupra;2006195 said:
Depending on the age of the gasket and if it reseals is what I would be worried about. If money is not scarce I would order those gaskets you need, or just buy an entire engine gasket kit. They're getting fewer and fewer and I am sure one day you will need some, and also people in the Supra or at least 1jz/2jz community.

no kidding, I'm so glad I got mine years ago when it was only $180.

slapsticksammy

Feb 25, 2014
San Antonio
Anyone know a source for these gaskets? I believe the original price on these suckers are 20 a piece but can't purchase any 88400 (1jz) parts from the dealership. I see them on ebay from overseas vendors but they are the one piece graphite type. I also contemplated purchasing the CXracing flange just to get the gasket.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
driftmotion.com

slapsticksammy;2006492 said:
Anyone know a source for these gaskets? I believe the original price on these suckers are 20 a piece but can't purchase any 88400 (1jz) parts from the dealership. I see them on ebay from overseas vendors but they are the one piece graphite type. I also contemplated purchasing the CXracing flange just to get the gasket.