Stock twin life expectation....

Jtek

Feb 5, 2009
vancouver, wa, usa, earth
How do you guys get your stock 1j twins to last longer than 6 months?
Sure I rod on it here and there...but not every turn, know what I mean?

Mine went tits up within 3 months. I have only an intercooler and its small. Like the same size as stock, but long.
They smoked up the track so bad they almost booted me out. I have since changes the stock twins for a "known" good pair.

Jtek

Feb 5, 2009
You mean like 3k? Thats when boost came on for the old set.

Its strange..they would smoke here and there, but if I rev a little, it'd clear out and it would stop, but continue again, only at idle.
What does this mean?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Frenzy;1408320 said:
You mean like 3k? Thats when boost came on for the old set.

Its strange..they would smoke here and there, but if I rev a little, it'd clear out and it would stop, but continue again, only at idle.
What does this mean?

Your turbos are dead

Its luck of the draw, some last fine boosting 18+ psi for years, others die out of the box.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Change your PCV valve and route a catch can and plumb it to the intake post TB.
Clean or replace the air filter. Use good oil and a cooler if you can afford to. Let them warm up and use a turbo timer or wait to let them cool down.

What else is there really, that's all that affect the turbos I guess. Some of those are regular maintenance so don't consider them extra expense. An oil cooler is a good investment on any car.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I have seen alot of smoking 1jz twins latley, I dont know whats up with the latest JDM engines that are coming in but 75% of them seem to have blown turbo's. I guess in Japan, when the turbo's start smoking they get rid of the car instead of fixing them.

Jtek

Feb 5, 2009
So the water/oil cooler isn't efficient enough? I got the 2jz metal pcv valve, but no catch can...I should make one out of an old charcoal canister :)

I got a turbo timer on the way and I do let it warm up properly. If I don't give it a good goose from 1st to the top of 3rd gear, it used to smoke like crazy. Also the IC piping is saturated (not covered 100%) with oil.

I have since put a new set of twins on.

Thanks for the help and insight, guys!

Bock

CNDBOOST
Jun 7, 2008
Ottawa
2 1/2 years @ 1 bar , and not a problem , your twins might have been abused by previous owner , or you have some un-assessed problems ( always remember cause & effect!! )

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Its pretty much luck of the draw. It all depends how they were treated.

As long as you treat them well by allowing them to warm up before seeing boost and using a turbo timer, they should last you a while.

My friend ran his at 20psi (370hp) for over a year... I will see how long mine last

Jtek

Feb 5, 2009
20 for a year!

So the new turbos smoke, but not crazy smoke. Only on acceleration, not idle like the last ones. Friends (2) following me said they could smell it. I could see it.
I bought these being told they were pulled straight off a 1j w/30km engine, but when I picked them up, they were literally covered in oil. I'm thinking the oil got as far as the intake side and each boost, heats the intake up a little bit and releases some oil...

Is there a way to tell if my turbos are bad? They are really tight with normal shaft play (very very little. far less than my old ones)

Feb 1, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Well it sounds like you have had numerous issues with these turbos... So I would reccomend going easy on these turbos for a while and gathering up some extra cash to get them a fresh rebuild (maybe even throw a bigger turbine in there :naughty: )

Just my thought

Jtek

Feb 5, 2009
I've decided I'm going single. Too many shoddy guesses on if stock twins are good or bad. I got lucky on this one. Bought them from a really chill and cool local guy that doesn't flip parts. He actually knows about them.

I'm not risking it again. Plus I have no knuckles left from replacing the old twins with new ones lol Single just makes sense.

Thanks guys! I'll get a catch can soon. For now, it sits.