Stock headunit

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
My speakers are blown and I'm going to be replacing them soon. However, I want to keep the stock headunit because it looks nicer and it's stock. Anyways, I have a 1990 with cassette, no CD player. I heard the 90s with CD palyers got an amp, but, I don't think I have one.

My question is, what power can the stock headunit handle? I want to put 4" (probably 2or3 way speakers) all around (leaving out 2 speakers in the back, so, only 2 in front and 2 in the back).

I'm not looking for a great system, I just want something decent. Maybe I'll add a small sub to it later. But for now, what are some decent, cheap speakers that will work with the stock headunit?

thanks guys.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
My first question would be if the 6 speakers are wired in the '90 like they were in the '89. http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/Wiring/pages/Page_134.html

Do they match the impedence? Or are the front and rear seperated enough that they don't need to be matched? IE: 4 Ohm x 2 in front, 8 Ohm x 4 in back (that way it's a 4 Ohm load in front and back). Or were they 4 Ohm x 2 in front and 4 Ohm x 4 in back (which comes down to a 4 Ohm load on the front and a 2 Ohm load on the rear)?

This could make a big difference if you're removing two of the rears as you're going to be cutting the rear load in half. This, of course, is dependent on the speakers being wired the same as the '89 with 6 speakers.

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
I think they are wired the same, I've been looking at them but I havn't had time to pull the stock speakers out yet.

I was thinking of replace the speakers with Pioneer all around. I just want a decent setup. I was looking at 4" in the front, 3.5" in the rear shoulder, and 5.25" under the little window in the hatch.

However, all of these speakers are 4 ohm. That would give me 4 ohm in the front and 2 ohm in the rear is the rears were wired in parallel. I dont think that would work. However, if I could find some 2 ohm speakers in 3.5" and 5.25" than I could wire them in series to get a total of 4 ohms, correct?

does anyone know of any 2ohm speakers that I could use?

Or, what would you reccommend? Should I just lose the speakers in the shoulder and run a 4 speaker system?