Stock Differentials

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hey all,

Almost finished with my 1JZ swap, and I am going to be replacing my stock open 4.30 with a 3.91 LSD, but before I do I read somewhere about a weak link in the stock diff and I wanted to address this before installation..... Except I can't remember what it was.... So yeah I was hoping that someone would be able to give me some more info!! This is for a street car on stock twins looking for right around 3 at the wheels. Thanks for reading!!

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
The weak link is the crush sleeve. If the lash is good i would just leave it. Just make sure you loctite and torque all the bolts back there.

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thanks for the info you two!!!

I apologize for my inexperience, but lash is checked with a torque wrench on the input shaft yes? How would this be checked on a differential that is off of a car?

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
No thats pinion preload. Grab the input flange and wiggle it back and forth, should feel tight. You can also pull the cover and look at where the wear is. It should be in the center. ,

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Can't budge it! Feels good, gonna slap her in as is plus a little 75W90 Redline!!! Any personal experience with this fluid? Need to add more friction modifier? Thanks a ton guys!!

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Friction modifier+Redline 75W90? Anyone have good volumes they can share? I believe I should add some I just don't know how much...

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

Last edited: