Stock Differential Capacity??

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
I haven't been able to find the stock capacity of my diff., and want to buy the fluid today from Ford. Its an '88 Manual turbo stock diff.

thanks

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
BTW:

I bought my fluid today from Ford, at $16/qt x2, + $7 for the additive....geeze. But the weird noises from the rear around slow turns are gone so far, so I can't complain.

I also bought a small hand pump from Advance for $12 that worked perfect for me, with the car on the ground. I plan to use it to do my trans fluid next.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
True statement, but the Ford gear oil seems to work better on a LSD with a lot of miles on it. Red Line can induce chattering on a high mileage differential.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
jdub;902005 said:
True statement, but the Ford gear oil seems to work better on a LSD with a lot of miles on it. Red Line can induce chattering on a high mileage differential.

Thats the info I was going on...I have 120K on my stock diff, and I wanted something that was proven for high(ish)-mileage diffs. So far so good, I have driven it 3-4 times with no noise, and no chattering....Before the fluid change, for about a week, I had noise while turning at <10mph, and now it is gone.

I am thinking about using the Redline in my r154, but am still researching that to decide what would be best. My trans grinds in 2nd (and sometimes 3rd) when driving real hard, so that is my main concern. Other than that, the trans is great, and shifts just like a truck shifter :sarcasm: lolz

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Red Line MT90 works great in the R154 (and other manual trannys), regardless of mileage. I highly recommend it. You have to be careful what gear oil you use in a tranny...many (like Royal Purple) also have the friction modifier in the formula. It makes the oil too "slick"...manual trannys need some friction for the synchros to work properly. MT90 is formulated to suit Toyota trannys and does not contain friction modifier.

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
I use the shockproof stuff from redline some far its excellent .. I like the fact that when I tear down the gears and such are still completely coated ... I use the MT90 in the diff ..

Jason

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Shockproof is more oriented toward racing trannys...the Superlight has the correct viscosity, but thins out quite a bit warm. It is designed for differentials under heavy load for extended periods. It is also a GL-5...it has twice the extreme pressure additives as a GL-4.
Read this...specifically post #7:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44485

Shockproof will work, but is not optimum...MT90 is a better choice for the tranny IMO. Keep this in mind, the R154 and W58 *need* some friction for the synchros to work properly.

Why would you use MT90 in the differential? It is specifically formulated (per Red Line) for manual trannys and does not contain the friction modifiers need for an LSD. Red Line 75W-90 is a much better choice (if Red Line is what you want to run)...if you want to add your own friction modifier, Red Line 75W-90NS does not contain any modifier and both versions are formulated for differentials.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
^ I run Redlind MT90 in my r154 and Redline 75w90 in the diff. Both work great.Tranny shifts perfect and i actually have no chatter on my 170XXX mile lsd. :thumbup: to redline

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yep...MT90 in the tranny is good stuff. In the differential, using 75W-90 has caused clatter in a few cases...depends on how worn the LSD is. I'm not saying don't use it (I do as well...in a new LSD), just be aware of the possibility.