Stock 7M Intercooler Piping Diameter?

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Hey all;

I searched around and I couldn't find anything pertaining to stock piping (only aftermarket), and my Supra is currently at my mechanics shop up in MD (a good hour away) so I can't go out and measure it - and it'll be there for quite a while more.

What is the diameter of our stock 7M IC piping?

I ask because I just purchased a SSQV kit for the 7M from another member and it came attached to a hard pipe (this is an authentic HKS SSQV 7M kit), however the pipe only measures 2" diameter, possibly a touch over. The ends of the pipe are flared a bit where the couplers seat, but they aren't much larger. I thought our stock piping was 2.25", so it seems odd to choke it out with a 2" bottleneck...

Am I mistaken? Are our stock IC pipes only 2"?

I'd appreciate any info!

Thanks!

-James

Last edited:

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
Everything is choked down from factory, A supra breaths the best with 2 1/2 inch intercooler piping and 3 in or bigger exhaust! Considing it's a turbo model.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
From memory..... I think that the stock IC piping is 60mm..... the 3000 pipe is 60mm on the IC piping side and 80mm on the throttle body side. The HKS IC piping I have on mine is all 80mm. go to a metric converter to see the actual inch size...... (with the HKS 3000 pipe replacement)

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
The 60mm (2.36in) sounds like it could be right for some portions, but I believe the 3000 pipe is only 2.5" on the throttle body side, which would be 63.5mm, and the HKS pipe continues that all the way through. 80mm would be 3.15 inches, which would be larger diameter than the vast majority of aftermarket kits available (and 2.5" hard pipes are supposed to be a considerable upgrade).

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Throttle body is like 55 or 60mm on the inside. No where near 80mm. It uses 2.75in t bolt clamps and thats with the coupler.

Small size on the 3k pipe will use 2in -2.25 couplers.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Crap, you made me get off my ass and mearsure.... on the 3000 pipe the throttle body side is 70mm, on the IC piping side it is 56mm. The HKS "3000" pipe is 70mm on each end.... The HKS IC hard pipes are 60mm.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
yes outside. just FYI..... the HKS IC pipe has a 60 to 70mm reducer built onto it..... So I used two 70mm silicone hoses on the 3000 pipe and 60mm hose couplers everywhere else on the IC pipes. I forgot what exactly what I have connecting to the turbo.... I just happen to have the spare pipes that I was able to easiliy measure. The same place I bought the 60 silicone couplers from had the perfect fit t-bolt clamps..... otherwise that can be a crap shoot getting the right size clamps for the metric sizes.

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

ok, the actual OD size of the stock inter cooler is 50mm... what is odd is the OD size of the stock 3000pipe, IC side is 56mm..... the factory stuff did some wierd things....