Stock 7 M GTE head bolts or ARP bolts?

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I'm garage cleaning and I have an old 7 M GTE head, How many years did the 7 M GTE came with Allen head bolts, if the answer is none then why do I have them? Do I have a different year, version or Do I just happen to have ARP bolts and if I do have APR bolts is there a way to tell if they are real APR's? I hate to assume they are real ARP's but, what are the chance's they are not?

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Thanks! Ok, I guess I'm wrong, funny I dont remember that,. I have a set of ARP's. I have a full set of ARP'S in my Toyota spare head bolts collection they are Hex head, I guess those are ARP'S then, I was gonna toss them. Thanks again

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Arps have a distinctive 12 pt head. Easy to spot.
a8f7166e06178c02b6eaa2474239d536.jpg

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Out of the 5 7mGTE motors I have had worked on in the past 2 of them came with ARP headstuds and 1 with ARP headbolts previously installed. I think by now almost all of the factory headgaskets have been changed or upgraded and most have upgraded to ARP hardware also. They say the studs provide more of a even clamping force vs the bolts.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Plaaya69
Because of Supramania I read that the studs do have more clamping force but however It's a P.I.T.A. to install or remove the head is that true? For that reason, I went with bolts.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Plaaya69
Because of Supramania I read that the studs do have more clamping force but however It's a P.I.T.A. to install or remove the head is that true? For that reason, I went with bolts.

To be honest it was a pain putting the cylinder head on because I had the studs installed (wanted to make sure they were all the same and fully seated) and tried to put the cylinder head on but the washers need to be installed before you put the cylinder head on if you go that route of installation. The washers move around and hit the studs when you keep trying to install everything that way. The studs to have a hex head on top so what I ended up doing was just installing the cylinder head, put the ARP washers in, install the studs from top and torque everything down from there.