Still having trans issues.

harojake

JDizzle
Jun 21, 2010
Butuckey MIchigan
I'm still having problems with my r154. It won't go in gear after winter storage. I put a new slave on it and the clutch is still hardly moving. Someone sugested I replace the throw out bearing because it may have gotten corroded or rusty from sitting over the winter just like the slave did. My question is can I replace just the bearing and what all other parts will I need if any? Btw the clutch trans and master were all new a year and a half ago with about 4000 miles on them.

harojake

JDizzle
Jun 21, 2010
Butuckey MIchigan
Yes it will go into gear when it is off and I can start it in gear and it jumps forward and it will go down the road but I can not shift and I can not put it in gear when it is already running. When I start it in gear and try to use the clutch it won't do anything either it just keeps goin untill I pull it outt of gear with no clutch. Ive only done this once or twice tho after I put my new turbo on just to make sure it was working.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Bet you the master cylinder isn't compressing anymore. If the slave corroded over winter to become rusted, bet there's water in the master cylinder causing it to leak pressure.

Also, I don't see where you said you got all the air out of the system..

harojake

JDizzle
Jun 21, 2010
Butuckey MIchigan
I bleed the system about 6 different times taking about an hour each time and making sure the fluid in the master didn't get low and I used new fluid and didn't not put the bleed fluid back in. I even got another new slave and tried it again. The reason the original slave got rusty was because the boot was torn

harojake

JDizzle
Jun 21, 2010
Butuckey MIchigan
The first time I went I start the car after winter the clutch Pedro was really hard and I pushed it hard an it made a scraping noise then the Pedro was stuck to the floor till i pulled it up. I just figured that was the slave cus when I pulled it out I could barly push the cylinder inside of it. Someone els sugested the bearing may have done the same thing

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Someone can correct me if i am wrong but if the fluid had good pressure while you were bleeding i wouldnt point fingers at the master cylender.... if you pull the inspection plate off can you can release the clutch manually

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
If it took you an hour to get all the air out of the system.. I'd say try another master cylinder. When I installed a new slave/master cylinder and bench bled the slave, it took me about 15 minutes to get the air out.

taka21

Feb 16, 2008
washington dc
sounds like the pilot bearing is toast, it will cause that same issue of not being able to move the stick into gear while the car is running , yet letting you get into gear when its off

harojake

JDizzle
Jun 21, 2010
Butuckey MIchigan
I have good pressure and no air in the lines. And I can see the clutch moving about as much as the width of a credit card but I have a feeling that's not enough movement

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
The clutch pushrod moves a lot more than that.. Can you manually pull the clutch away from the disc? Just tug on the arm attached to the clutch. If you can move it with your hand, your MC is dead.

Last edited: