Still having lean issues...

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Posted a while ago, still haven't been able to figure out the problem. I will try to describe the problem in different phases/combinations.

Cold start: Car runs at 13.2-13.7 while warming up, as soon as the thermostat opens, goes instantly full lean and starts bogging trying to shut off from very low idle.

Warmed up: Taking off from 1st will run full lean until about 2k rpm then it realizes "oh shit im running lean" and it corrects itself to either 14.7-15.3 OR runs rich at 12.0-12.5. Also, has random fits and sometimes fixes itself sometimes it doesn't.

Cruising: If I let off the throttle while in gear, and resume acceleration, will stay full lean forever unless i mash the pedal to the floor and it corrects itself. Same problem when switching gears.

Never goes full lean at all if I disconnect my o2 sensor, but then it will always run rich.

Mods:
evo9 560cc
walbro 255
egr delete
lex afm

Have tried: different afms, different tps, different iacv, new coolant temp sensor, new o2 sensor, timed correctly, no codes

my issue is VERY similar to this guys: http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-69751.html

Unfortunately he gave up and parted it out, and I have also found 1 or 2 other cases with the same thing but never resolved. Fuck me right

Any input is appreciated.

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Its not a vacuum leak and its not a boost leak.. otherwise the car would not fix itself at times and then go full lean randomly. So no i have not checked but most of my vacuum lines are deleted and the few i have all check out.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
OK.
Do you know what the car is fixing itself? maybe a leak?
Why the car fix randomly itself and not definitely?

Good luck

Last edited:

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Edit: well, Nick M deleted his previous message, the answer below was about:
Nick M said:
How does EGR reduce the temp in the cylinder?

Adding an inert gaz reduce the fresh volume of air/fuel mix. This is like having less intake volume
Less intake volume means less compression ratio and less pressure
Less pressure is less temp.

Sorry if my english is not clear, not my first language.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Rollus;2029893 said:
Edit: well, Nick M deleted his previous message, the answer below was about:

It was going down a bit of a rabbit trail, as EGR changes would be A/F by diluting the intake oxygen. The question wasn't actually at you I wanted him to understand how it worked.

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
I'm currently running no o2. Car still runs lean at idle but a lot less (car doesnt stumble and taking off from first feels smoother) When cruising its 14.7 range and SOMETIMES it goes to 12-13. What is o2 cross-counting?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Whats it do at WOT?

Do you have an AFPR?

Put the O2 sensor back on...just because it might have improved this issue...doesnt mean it isnt having a negative affect elsewhere

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
At WOT its nice a rich 10.0. No i dont have an AFPR. I would rather run rich than running lean and ALWAYS running lean when taking off from 1st. It was doing this when it was on stock injectors/afm

Enano

Sep 3, 2012
Miami, FL
Was messing around today trying little things here and there.

I grabbed the harness at the #6 injector and moved it up and down and the car would stutter and die/change idle.

What do you guys think? Should i try using a different harness?