Stereo Stays on When Car Completely Off

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
this problem just started today. when I turn the key all the way off and the tt counts down, the radio stays on. the clock also stays lit up. nothing else stays on, just my aftermarket head unit and clock.

I tried removing the tt jumper harness but it still does the same thing without the tt.

any ideas?

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
AGlobalThreat;1127740 said:
Can the key slide in and out of the ignition even when the car is running?

Does your ignition lock when you take the key out?

1) yes, the key has always been able to come out when the car is on, but that should just be because of the worn out key.

2) do you mean does the ignition turn with out the key in it? if so, no. the wheel locks in place.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Sep 10, 2007
Virginia

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
88mkIIIproject;1127795 said:
thanks for all of the info! I appreciate it.

Just an idea, when I first got my supra, I had the same symptoms because my key would come out while the car was in the run or accessories position, when I shut it off I would simply turn the key and remove it and the radio/clock would stay on. I didn't realize that there is the button on the ign. cylinder that needs to be depressed in order to turn the key to Lock. When doing this on my car it shuts everything off and locks the steering wheel. If you take your key out at the lock position and it still turns things on, then you need a new ign. cylinder.
Good Luck!

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
MK3.0dudeman;1128004 said:
Thats awsome!!Now you could bump music all the time.

LOL

did you try disconeting the battrey and than hooking it back up?

Well the battery died overnight so I jumped it, and now the problem is gone. So disconnecting the battery (of sorts) worked for now

can a worn out ignition switch cause a slow start? meaning the engine cranks over for 1-3 seconds before starting up most of the time.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
suprabad;1127775 said:
You're ignition switch is worn out. That will cause exactly the problems you are having. Pull the key barrel and replace the switch.

To Test:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=BE&P=15

Here's the part:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291410/catalog.aspx?F=8401&P=2

Here's the wiring diagram:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=40

well, I replaced the ignition switch and am still having the exact same problem. any other ideas?

Gargoyle

Mar 13, 2006
Portland, Oregon
In trouble shooting something of this nature, my first thought is...What were you working on last on the car? Anything electrical? Do you have any electrical mods besides the Turbo Timer?

When it is failing, do any other electrical components also work..(i.e.-turn signals, heater, fog lamps, cigarette lighter)? If you have wired something to a fuse slot (the fuse is holding a wire in behind it, not recomended by the way) you may want to check the wire and make sure it's not cross feeding to another live fuse.

Looking further at the Cygnus Power source page, it lists radio/tape player in two sections...one of those is in the same section as the clock. There should be a 15 amp fuse marked Tail in your left kick panel that powers them both. It appears the common demoninator is Junction Block #3 in the left kick panel.

Brian

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Gargoyle;1146901 said:
In trouble shooting something of this nature, my first thought is...What were you working on last on the car? Anything electrical? Do you have any electrical mods besides the Turbo Timer?

When it is failing, do any other electrical components also work..(i.e.-turn signals, heater, fog lamps, cigarette lighter)? If you have wired something to a fuse slot (the fuse is holding a wire in behind it, not recomended by the way) you may want to check the wire and make sure it's not cross feeding to another live fuse.

Looking further at the Cygnus Power source page, it lists radio/tape player in two sections...one of those is in the same section as the clock. There should be a 15 amp fuse marked Tail in your left kick panel that powers them both. It appears the common demoninator is Junction Block #3 in the left kick panel.

Brian

The turbo timer harness is not plugged in atm, to rule that out. No other components (no p/w, turns, heater, cig, no lights on dash) are on, it just acts as if the key is still in the "ACC" position, when it is all the way to "LOCK". Power locks still work normal.

The only other electrical component I have hooked up is an amp, fed by a fused cable from bat +, with a signal wire from the stereo to the amp. Maybe the amp isn't turning off and then somehow powering that circuit?

Now my battery won't hold a charge, I'm going to check that out today.

It seems like the culprit should have been my ignition switch, but that didn't change anything and I don't know what else could cause the same issue.

I will try pulling that fuse in the meantime, thanks for the help. Any ideas?

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
It looks like my amp was the problem.

I hooked the battery back up, key was off and radio and clock were on. When I disconnect the power to the amp, it all turns off. I got my charging system checked at advance, and everything looks ok.