Steps to take before a long drive

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
Hey guys just wanted to know what are some steps i should take before i take my supra out for a long drive, going to be dropping in my 7mgte this weekend and getting all the bugs worked out before august where i will be hopefully driving to the beach which is a 7-8 hour drive.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I tend to beat the hell out of a car for a couple weeks before any long trips. If nothing breaks or does anything funny in the break in period, it should be good to go. Things can and do happen though, so be prepared:

-tools (mostly just the basics, you probably won't be re-doing a bottom end on the side of the highway)
-oil/coolant/powersteering fluid, I usually take a bottle (gallon oil/coolant, normal bottle PS) of each.
-handful of rags
-jack/spare
-water and food (never know)
-jacket/blanket, depending on where you live.

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
te72;1853409 said:
I tend to beat the hell out of a car for a couple weeks before any long trips. If nothing breaks or does anything funny in the break in period, it should be good to go. Things can and do happen though, so be prepared:

-tools (mostly just the basics, you probably won't be re-doing a bottom end on the side of the highway)
-oil/coolant/powersteering fluid, I usually take a bottle (gallon oil/coolant, normal bottle PS) of each.
-handful of rags
-jack/spare
-water and food (never know)
-jacket/blanket, depending on where you live.

its funny i have most of that stuff in my car already haha especially PS fluid damn clutch reservoir keeps spilling fluid but i will give the motor a good break in and hopefully all goes well.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
-Allstate or similar roadside assistance
-Major credit card for rental car
This is how I handled my Neon when it broke a timing belt, except I broke down near where a friend lived, so I was able to leave the car at his place for a few weeks until my dad could tow it up. Its so much easier if you can afford it, and there are some things you just can't fix on the road.

-AM3