Steering wheel

89supra884

Apr 8, 2008
chicago
well i am going to replace my stock 1989 na, supra wheel with a new one and i was jst wondering how to remove the steering wheel.

i wanted to ask before i go and mess it up

thanks

too_stand

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2005
Campton Kentucky
89supra884;1089608 said:
well i am going to replace my stock 1989 na, supra wheel with a new one and i was jst wondering how to remove the steering wheel.

i wanted to ask before i go and mess it up

thanks

On an 89 steering wheel, there is one phillips screw you must first remove from the back going through to the "cover part" from the center section. Once this is removed, gently pry the outer center cover off. It requires a little force because of 2 plastic locking tabs which hold it in place pretty tightly. Once this is removed, the holding nut is a 19mm, normally fairly easy to remove. Use a puller, by FAR the best way, the type which has 2 bolts to thread into the wheel with the center plunger which you tighten up once the 2 bolts are threaded in and the wheel will "pop" off pretty easy. I have removed steering wheels without a puller, by leaving the telescoping lever unlocked where you can slide the wheel in and out with a jerking motion, BUT the risk of damaging the signal control is pretty great, take the time to find a puller, I have pulled dozens and a puller is "the way to go"

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
On imports all I do is loosen the bolt up to the point it has a few threads left on. Then place your elbows on your knees with arms pointing up behind the wheel. A little tug and it pops free. As long as you left the nut on your safe. If you pulled the nut all the way off you may need to nurse your nose a bit.