Steering/Subframe help

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
in the process of finishing my 1jz swap/build, I had to bleed the power steering - did that. however now, when on the ground, engine running, the P/S pump makes a high pitched sound only when you turn the wheel, and theres another sharp noise coming from the rack area it self. I bled the system again, double checked all my connections, still persisted so I had a friend comeover and turn the wheel while the car was down on the ground, and me looking in the engine bay to try and find this noise (which is where id iscovered it was coming from both the pump and the rack)

But then I noticed something else as well - the whole steering rack assembly would move side to side as you turned the wheels. Not only that, but the motor did a little bit as well, leading me to believe that the whole front subframe was shifting when load was applied to the rack.

My car has H&R springs, so its stupid low, but the amount of camber I have is abnormal - someone on here a while back suggested taht my front subframe bushings might be worn, and thats putting my suspension out of geometry. Could worn bushings cause the lateral movement in the subframe as well? If so, who sells these bushings? I've been searching all over and can't find em!

I also put the car back up in the air, and did an inspection to see if there were any major visible cracks... no.
Also obviously lose subframe -> unibody bolts?.... no
Balljoints.... no movement

Any ideas? Tips? I gotta get this thing driving so it can get painted so I can make the centralia meet!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
My front subframe was VERY loose, break out the torque wrench and get to work!

The steering rack moving is common as oil tends to break down the rubber bushings that hold the rack in place...

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
ronniek has the subframe and steering rack bushing's.shoot him a pm here or check the misc. vendor's

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Here ya go, it's in an odd part of the TSRM, and most people overlook it.

The difference after doing this was completely unreal on my car. Reduced targa shimmy, better road feel, less noise, less vibration...

MA_012.gif

BigSupe

Jun 16, 2007
England
Is the bushings on the rack a common wear problem? as I have a very small amount of play in the steering and I'm wondering whether thats the problem

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
BigSupe;958579 said:
Is the bushings on the rack a common wear problem? as I have a very small amount of play in the steering and I'm wondering whether thats the problem
i've never looked under a supra with someone turning the wheel.i have read enough thread's with people complaining and figured i'd replace them while the motor was out.i should have my ronniek poly one's this week.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, it's a common problem on ANY car with a rack and pinion as they have rubber mounts.

The rubber gets saturated in oil and starts to break down. Poly won't do that.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
It was under MAINTENANCE?! Geeze i didn't realize it was enough of an issue to be labeled as "maintenance." But thanks a ton - i'll get em torqued up tomorrow morning, run a few more tests to see if the bushings are bad or not (upon visual inspection they look fine)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I try and pound it into people's head...

This is important stuff!!

If one of those bolts sheered off I dunno what would have happened. It's safety folks!

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
speed;959678 said:
It was under MAINTENANCE?! Geeze i didn't realize it was enough of an issue to be labeled as "maintenance." But thanks a ton - i'll get em torqued up tomorrow morning, run a few more tests to see if the bushings are bad or not (upon visual inspection they look fine)
i just took a set off an 89 that seamed to be alot softer then the one's off my 92.maybe they get saturated like a sponge with all the oil.i'll let you know how the poly one's look and fit.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Okay, well 3/6 subframe bolts weren't up to spec, got those tightened down. Also, the crossmember that runs right next to the oil pan was fairly loose- tightened that up too. I've got a few other things to check, and then i'll let ya know how it goes.

I'll probably end up buying at least a set of steering bushings if not the whole subframe just as preventative maintenance.

Thanks for all the input chaps... tsuper92, please do let me know how it goes with the new set.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It should make a noticable difference.

I forgot to reinstall the brace under the oilpan, and once I put it back on it was noticable as well...

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Yep yep, the subframe doesn't move anymore! Too bad the P/S pump is still being gay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKA3mKb6Lek

The steering makes this awful noise ONLY when under load. Jacked up in the air, car running, turn the steering, no problems. Open up the resevoir in either case (on the ground or jacked up), and the fluid is swirling, obviously flowing. However when under load, and its making the noise, the Pressure line vibrates like a motherfucker.

^^ Thats what i'm trying to resolve now. Ugh.

Does anyone know why mine is doing this? Suggestions?

626na

Banned
Jan 15, 2008
cali
same shit happens in my car....:icon_evil
when i turn the wheel it sounds the same as your's.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
Hrmm. I've had about enough of this, i'm going to drain the whole system, make sure all lines are clear, don't leak, no holes, all washers are tight.. the whole chibang. Does anyone know if I can rent a vacuum bleeder from like AutoZone or Napa or anybody?

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
you can buy a vacume pump for cheap,but i've never seen it used on the power steering system.have you turned it from left to right a number of time's to bleed the air.just keep turning it shy of full lock with it off the ground.mine bleed pretty easy and i have the factory cooler hooked up.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
a vaccum wont suck the air out... you only put fluid in ONE hole, its not like a clutch line...

just jack the car up, turn to full lock, hold it.... then go to other full lock making sure the res. has plenty of fluid... maybe its your pump?