steering/shaking issue

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Hey all,

Im on my 4th shop trying to find out why my steering wheel is shaking like a paint shaker at 65-70mph.. I am getting some seat shake but its mainly on the highway and seems to not be constant.

-I have new rims as they claimed that once... I replaced 2 of the 4 new tires to see if that would calm it.
-I have new eibach pro springs and tokico tems shocks along with the rubber boots replaced at the strut mount.
-I put on new rotors and brakes...

They see no issues in the suspension... But the wheel is pulsing side to side. I feel some vibration in the seat but that I think is from the front.

I did note that my power steering fluid looks nasty and I will be changing that saturday weather permitting...

What can this be the shops say all is well with the car? I know it shouldnt ride like this.

V

Aspec

Supra uber alles
Dec 22, 2005
Surprise, AZ
Does the whole vehicle shake violently when you get to that speed or are you only getting feedback in the steering wheel?

edit: sorry, did not see he had two threads with the same topic

Last edited:

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
oh god, i had this problem on my 88 fx16 gts.

new wheels, tires, lifetime balance, wheel bearings, etc.

turned out after YEARS of overtightening the lugs by the previous owners... the hubs were warped.

How did I find out? I installed a new set of toyota rotors, and bam, the shake when COMPLETELY away. However, after about a week, the shake came back, and also destoyed the rotor hats (bent them).

So I took the rotors off and had the hubs checked for trueness and they were bent.

Moral of the story is, be sure to have your lugs properly torqued.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
i have the same problem. as i go around a bend on the freeway at about 80 mph the steering wheel shakes very violently and the front of the car seems to "skip" and start loosing control. i think it might be my bearings.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Dunckel said:
have you had an alighnment?

Yes its been aligned... At low speeds the car is fine and is a normal ride.

As I said the suspension shops I went to were supposed to have checked everything that hasnt fixed the problem.

I have replaced the struts, springs, rims, tires (twice) and spring seats (rubber at the top of the struts)

The wheel vibrates left to right on the highway. Worsens after a turn and now after watching it is not consistant. I have had it smooth out.

One shop claimed its the eibachs and tokicos that its just a rough ride. Well my 89 rode like glass compared to this. I feel like Im holding a power drill sometimes.

V

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I would get the car in the air, go one by one on the wheels (ideally normal ride height) and feel for ANY play ANYWHERE in the suspension. Even .010in needs to be investigated.

We all know shops are just a bunch of half retarded jerk offs who sucker people that don't care into letting them touch their cars. That claim about shocks/springs is an excellent example.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
mkIIIman089 said:
We all know shops are just a bunch of half retarded jerk offs who sucker people that don't care into letting them touch their cars. That claim about shocks/springs is an excellent example.

agreed. the eibachs are the only aftermarket spring that will not void a factory warranty. (ford's anyway) plus, i don't think stiffer suspension will make a steering wheel vibrate back and forth. i could be wrong though.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
maybe tire pressure. :dunno: are the wheels and tires balanced? sometimes the simplest questions provide the best answers.

Last edited: