Steering shaft sizes

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
Ok so I just replaced my 89 power steering rack for one on rock auto. Just put the new one in and the steering rack is about a inch to short now? Any one else run into this issue also ?

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
If you still have it check, I highly doubt is the shaft because it came out of the car correct? And also check orientation of the shaft.

Btw just leave the shaft connected to the firewall but loose so you can slide it in/out then hook up to rack

fox74

Nov 9, 2014
SLC
The intermediate shaft the one on the first picture has two pieces, these two pieces slide in and out of each other, with the dust boot at the joint. You just have to slide the lower part down. word of wisdom , with wheels straight ahead put the steering wheel in correct place before installing the intermediate shaft, otherwise you have do the whole thing again. I hope this helps :x:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya. The steering inter shaft has a slip section for the exact reason and being able to install it. They all do.

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
So where that boot is the inner shaft can slide out? I tried like hell pulling the top splined part out more wouldn't budge last night because I thought the same thing when I took that boot off. I'm gunna spray some pb blaster in the and try to pull it out again