Steering Rack replacement questions?

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
I was hoping for some clarification on these things.

I have a 1991 MKIII Supra with a 2j swap, and i believe my steering rack is bad though it's not leaking. I've been looking around for answers and from the information. 86-88 racks are non power steering and supposely don't fit into my 91. I was wondering mostly about the racks with the Solenoid, as i read that you can just buy a regular rack that comes without the Solenoid, and swap over your old rack's solenoid. Then i saw ANOTHER rack that does not supply the solenoid but comes with Electronic Control Steering (ECS) on partsgeek, i'm not even sure what this is referring to. I wanted to know what the difference between all these options are, and what route i should take.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
deazndude;1895505 said:
I was hoping for some clarification on these things.

I have a 1991 MKIII Supra with a 2j swap, and i believe my steering rack is bad though it's not leaking. I've been looking around for answers and from the information. 86-88 racks are non power steering and supposely don't fit into my 91.

All Supras have power steering.

deazndude;1895505 said:
I was wondering mostly about the racks with the Solenoid, as i read that you can just buy a regular rack that comes without the Solenoid, and swap over your old rack's solenoid.

Nope, the PPS racks are very different.

deazndude;1895505 said:
Then i saw ANOTHER rack that does not supply the solenoid but comes with Electronic Control Steering (ECS) on partsgeek, i'm not even sure what this is referring to. I wanted to know what the difference between all these options are, and what route i should take.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Have to swap the solenoid I think.

deazndude;1895522 said:
I brought it to a shop and he told me it was bad and leaking.

Just said it wasn't leaking?

Why is it "bad?"

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
The rack is leaking. But if you seal the boots on the outer tie rods then it can prevent a leak to the actual atmosphere. That is what my car is like. It is leaking inside the rack and into the boot. It is possible to rebuild a rack or get a re-manufactured one. Finding a brand spanking new one is hard though I believe.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
Poodles;1895541 said:
All Supras have power steering.

Nope, the PPS racks are very different.

Have to swap the solenoid I think.

Just said it wasn't leaking?

Why is it "bad?"

What happens if i just swap in one without PPS?

On this website it says the rack that contains the ECS is for a NA Car, is this okay?

Well, once i was told it was bad and leaking, I went right away to buy more ATF Fluid to refill it. A few weeks after i rechecked the power steering reservoir, it was at the same spot where i last filled it.

Thanks for the help btw guys.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Get a few rags, some simple green, water, and a couple plastic/metal bristle brushes. Go to town cleaning the rack and components, find the leak, if there is one. I had a leak from the pressure line in my 86.5, and one in the return line, and one in the supply line to the pump. Leaks were everywhere before I fix them, I do not miss messing with ATF at all though.