Steering Rack Bracket - Help

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
So I went to replace my steering rack bushings this morning. Everything went good at first, I got the old ones out and the new ones in fairly quickly. I got the passenger side all bolted up and I went to go do the driver side bracket. I was able to get the back bolt in, but I cant get the front one in no matter what I do. I've tried taking the back bolt out, clamping the bracket down so it compresses the bushing and sits like it would when it is all snugged up, basically everything I can think to do. I've been messing with this bolt for close to two hours now.

Is there some sort of a trick to getting this bolt in, or am I missing something here? Any suggestions or help would be great.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Well I got it after messing with it some more. I guess the new poly bushings were so tight compared to the old rubber ones that they were causing the hole in the bracket to not line up just perfectly. With a lot of pressure on the front of the bracket I was able to get the bolt in.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
supraguy@aol;1941224 said:
congrats man.
It was easy for me, because I cheated, and took the entire subframe out.
:)

Yeah, without all the stuff like the motor and subframe in the way, it would have probably been a little easier...