Steering is feeling "loose"

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
Hey SM I am having a problem with my steering on my supra. I have a new rack, new tie rods, new rack bushings, PS pump/lines, all within the last 2k miles. Anyway in the corners my steering feels tight and on point, its when I am going in a straight line it starts to feel loose. If I cruise straight I feel no wheel vibrations or anything but if I start make small steering corrections (think changing lanes, slight curves) I can suddenly feel what feels like unbalanced front tires in the front. From what I have seen over the year is that even if the fronts are off balance you always felt it in the steering wheel. I checked both front wheels for play and they are as tight as can be so its not a BJ/TR going. I really dont like the "discontinuity" of my steering at highways speeds. Anyone have a similar problem?

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
I have the same kind of problem with my Supra! New tie rods, fresh alignment, fresh tires, fresh balancing but it has a little mini vibration in the steering at highway speeds. Gets pretty annoying on long trips. Cannot figure out what the hell it is!

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
#04;2033909 said:
How does your steering rack dampener look? Or which year?

I reused it from my old rack but it looked in good condition. any way to check? Its an 87 so its non pps and the rack is non pps.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
every time i pull them off they can be pushed in by hand. get your steering rack on straight with good bushings, anything more then than and you're looking at subframe and control arm bushings.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Can you wiggle the steering wheel back and forth without the tires responding? There's a ujoint in the steering arm in the engine bay, I had it replaced (thanks to a thread on here actually) and the steering wheel is real tight now.