Steering boss - what to get and where?

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
bit of a newb question, but what are people using in the way of boss kits here in the US? I know HKB do one out of Japan but i'd like to know what is on offer in the US for our cars, preferably to match up with a Sparco steering wheel (I think they are same pattern as momo). If anyone can provide some info on where to purchase from and what to get that'd be great.

I know NRG do a removable hub, not neccessarily after removable but open to options.

cheers

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
I'm using a Momo collapsable one Simon, picked it up from Revolution Racegear on Main North Rd many years ago...

As you may alredy know, the listed A70 boss has the buttons for cruise control and is hideously expensive.
However, Toyota being Toyota, there are other bosses you can use. IIRC the boss I have is meant for an 80 series Landcruiser. It fits fine, and still has the required indentations on the back of the hub to allow the indicators to cancel (take a look at a stock steerring wheel, you'll see what I mean). Wish I could track down a P/No. for ya, but a bit hard from over here sorry ;)

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
hey Andrew, what do you mean when you say collapsable? Certainly dont need any horn buttons but do need self cancelling indicators as my current one doesnt do that and its annoying as hell! I think a80 supra and 90 and 100 chasers also fit supras. Might have to pop into revolution racegear and check out what they have, havent been there before.

gats

Rebuilding... Slowly!
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, NSW
Means that in a crash the boss collapses out the way of your head. Also means its ADR legal too - although I'm guessing not such a concern with your car anymore...

Just dug through some old stuff on SF.au, this should help you out!
gats;1712617 said:
Just put a momo on my car, what I did was remove the cruise control all together as it dosen't work which includes removing the slip contact ring which mounts to the front of the combination switch. Then using a combination switch I got from a 88 ST162 Celica, I took the spring loaded horn contact out of that switch and placed it through the hole in the Supra switch and wired it back to the loom.
The momo boss kit you need is Part No. 7715 which is actually meant for Celicas and Landcruisers. This boss kit has the same splines, the horn contact ring contacts the horn contact correctly and even the indicators cancel properly! This boss kit is a bit long, it does move the wheel a bit further (like 15-20mm or so) away from the indicator stalk but apart from that its all good
And the best thing with the momo hubs is that they are collapsible, so they are legal!!!
I originally tried with a momo boss kit Part No. 7713 which also fits some Celicas, this one is the perfect lenght for A70's, but the indicators wouldn't cancel which drove me up the wall. If you wanna try it however, make me an offer its just sitting in the shed doing nothing...

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/mkii-mkiii-discussion/23734

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
thanks Andrew, do you remember how much you paid for it? can get boss kits from Japan for around 70 bucks I believe but this one you've got sounds good as I was actually wanting to move the steering wheel a bit closer to my chest for the track.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I'm running HKB x80 IIRC with a circuit sports quick release.. allows me to get in easier at times, little better security, and it put the wheel another ~100mm closer to me. If that isn't enough, the steering column is telescopic.

spiller

Mar 5, 2008
Australia/Chicago
I have the telescopic column fully extended at the moment but it still could probably come closer. the problem is that with my helmet on at the track, my head fouls on the roof of the car where it dips in towards the top of the windscreen - not the most comfortable driving position to have to slump your back so your head doesn't jam against the roof! Ultimately i'd like to be another 50-100mm back but if its too far I wont be able to reach the pedals (6ft tall), which would require a race pedal set up, which is expensive and a lot of messing around (a whole other story!).

Dylan, do you have any links to the boss kit and removable hub your are talking about? Also what steering wheel are you using with it?