Steady drip oil leak - Filter housing area

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
I have a pretty major leak, there is a steady stream / drip coming down the side of the oil filter itself (the side facing the block). It seems like its coming from where the oil filter seal is but i cant tell for sure. I have changed to another filter but same result.

This is a newly rebuilt motor.... is there a common problem for leaks on the stock filter housing? It doesnt seem to be coming from where O ring is between the block and the housing but I cant tell for sure.

My plan is to get down there and relocate the oil filter to an easier spot to get to, i am hoping this will resolve the leak at the same time.

Anybody experienced a leak like this?

thoughts, comments, advice appreciated

thanks

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Wild question but could it be your rocker cover bolts not tightened properly and it seeping out the side?

Give them a check as I noticed mine were loose recently a little so I immediately tightened them up.

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
Rennat;1220848 said:
there is an o-ring on the housing to block surface. if it was not put back when the block was torn apart for the rebuild then thats most likely the problem.

I'm taking the housing off the block next weekend, we shall see. Toyota put it back together, but I have lost confidence in this particular dealership long ago....

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
vas85;1220991 said:
Wild question but could it be your rocker cover bolts not tightened properly and it seeping out the side?

Give them a check as I noticed mine were loose recently a little so I immediately tightened them up.

I dont think this is the problem, the block is bone dry (and still clean:icon_bigg) above the filter housing... but i'll double check them just to make sure.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
the filter could have been overtightened, so the filter gasket is crushed or kinked.
you got your motor rebuilt by toyota?!?

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
sneakypete;1221113 said:
the filter could have been overtightened, so the filter gasket is crushed or kinked.

replaced the filter myslef and hand tightened it, leaks the same.

sneakypete;1221113 said:
you got your motor rebuilt by toyota?!?

Kind of... its a long story, I need to write my build thread to fully explain. Basically my dad built the motor and life happened moved a couple times and didnt have the time or place to do it, car was in another state, had to get it back together and just had it towed to a dealership, gave them the car practically in boxes (7 thousand + pieces:aigo:...or so it seemed)

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
im surprised the dealership even did the machine work and what not.

make sure the oil cooler lines arent leaking and that the relief spring bolt is tight!

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
then my guess is on the gasket between the filter head and the block. You should be able to see an oil line trickling down to the filter. Hate to think what they charged you guys, but id have it back in their shop demanding a fix!

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
grimreaper;1221448 said:
then my guess is on the gasket between the filter head and the block. You should be able to see an oil line trickling down to the filter. Hate to think what they charged you guys, but id have it back in their shop demanding a fix!

you dont want to know....I havent even added all the bills up, and im not going to. :cry:

i would take it back but i drove it 1000 miles away to where i currently live...so I have to assume responsibility now:3d_frown:.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Check that big bolt that hold the oil filter housing on the block. It's like 1". Mine was loose after a few thousand miles (hand tightened thats how loose) when I had to do some work there but hadn't started leaking yet. That's the only bolt holding it on.