starts up but dies help please?

nickiec88

May 23, 2010
Marengo, Il
Heres my first posted question to SM. Ok so i have an 88 na. about a month ago i decided to replace the rear main seal and the front input shaft seal since i was leaking a little bit of oil and trans fluid. after pulling the trans i noticed that the clutch was destroyed so i grabbed another one. also did pulgs and wires and cleand the engine bay as much as i could. since the egr was already disconnected i just completly removed it after seeing all the buildup throughout the intake manifold. i cleand everything from the throttle body to the lower intake mani and replaced all the gaskets. while i had all that off i also did valve cover gaskets. Cruise control, a/c, and the charcole canister were also removed and the battery was relocated to the trunk. everything else is now back together. now the problem is the car will start but only run for no more then 3 or 4 seconds before shutting off. the windows will not work and when i beep the horns they dont sound right. im gone over everything again and again, and i just cant seen to figure out whats wrong. everything was fine before the work was done. since it seems like an electrical problem i tried regrounding everything but still no luck. if anyone have any input on this it would be great. Thanks, Nick

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Lol EGR problem man, idk about the whole windows/horn thing but its obvious you messed with
some kind of wireing and its just something little.
but for your idle problem yes its because you took out the EGR.

In order to remove the egr completely you have 2 options, Either use block off plates or keep the EGR and just re-route it,
its been forever since i've did mine and cant remember the exact steps but yea.

I'm sure someone here has just recently done theres and can tell you the steps.

nickiec88

May 23, 2010
Marengo, Il
block off plates are installed. forgot to add that in. everything that was electrical that i disconnected was all put back in besides the horn for the alarm, but i hooked that back up and still no good. all the vac lines that were disconnected from the egr and such were all blocked off as well. all the gauges, lights and the radio work. just not the windows.

and also when the car starts, if i hit the gas pedal it will die instantly. rather then the few seconds it has on its own

i just noticed that this was 7mgte not the n/a. hopefully thats not a problem.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Please explain how many, and where you installed block off plates for the egr.

On the stock system there is a little wire from the fuse block to the pos battery terminal, does that still have power at all times? Pics of new battery setup?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^ I agree.

You have a loose wire somewhere from what you did. And prolly a dirty isc if you did not take it off when you clean the manifold.

nickiec88

May 23, 2010
Marengo, Il
2 block off plates, one on the lower intake and one on the upper.

When i did the battery relocation all wires that were disconnected from the original setup were all reconnected the same way, just to a longer positive cable to the battery.

the canister was mite not have been the best thing to remove, but the egr has been disconnected for at least a year since thats how long ive had it, and its never had a problem, considering that i removed it. it poured out at least an ounce of oil when i removed it.. that would be wonderful to suck back in.

Attachments

• 21..jpg
    21..jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 22..jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 23..jpg
    23..jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 13

nickiec88

May 23, 2010
Marengo, Il
both windows still dont work and the power on the driver seat to go forward, back, up, and down works but the side adjustments and the lumber dont. the a/c and heater controls and the rear defroster wont turn on either. when i crank the car over i can hear a relay click from the passenger side kick panel. everything else electric seems to be working. what could be causing these not to work as well as the car not staying running? the car can run for about 3 seconds then shuts down. when it is running and i hit the gas pedal it shuts off immediately. so it seems to be something with fuel. is there anything that links all this together, including something like injectors, or fuel pump or something? i mean the car ran 100% before i did anything. im stumped. anyone got anything?

alien4real

Jul 5, 2010
Pennsylvania
Did you check your grounds that go to the intake plenum? You should re check all the wiring that you had moved. It sounds like a bad ground in my opinion.

nickiec88

May 23, 2010
Marengo, Il
I know this is super old so I'm sorry to bring it back up, but I have not solved this one. A lot has been done since I started this post. The 88 targa was smashed by a drunk driver. I bought a 87 hardtop and swapped EVERYTHiNg from the 88 over to the 87 but the subframes, so I was able to carefully inspect everything as I put it back together. I still have the same fuel problem which is the pump has to be constantly jumped from under the hood. The only new problem that's has come up since I've done the swap is the fuel gauge stopped working, I'll make a new post on that. The pump runs just fine and obviously has power while jumped, but it just won't run without it. leads me to believe that maybe the wire harness broke somewhere, mine is very fragile so I'm as careful with it as I can be. I have a harness from a 87n/a automatic, any chance that harness will work with my 5spd n/a?