Starts beautifully. Throttle stutters/stalls

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Hey so I'm sure this has been covered many-atimes, but I'm on my phone and don't have access to a computer for a long time.

I just got done putting my car back together after changin a head gasket. Everything is awesome. No leaks so far And the car starts up very smoothly.

But when I start the car and let it run for about a minute and when I give it throttle it stutters pretty badly and sometimes stalls.

There are no check engine lights and the timing is set to 10° per the manual.

Again, I'm sure this has been covered many times but like I said I really need the help now because I have no computer. Please let me know what you guys think, thank you

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Have you tried checking for codes?

I'd make sure that the cam/crank timing is good and make sure the no1 piston is at tdc with a chop stick in no1 spark plug hole.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Ok so I jumped the box for codes and well. I don't know. The check engine light just keeps flashing. It's a steady QuickFlash and it doesn't stop or pause. So for instance it just keeps flashing.

Another pretty scary thing, is that after the car is on for about two minutes it smells like something is burning. I don't know what it smells like but it doesn't smell too good.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
That means there is no codes.
And if you just did the hg your hands or gloves were greasy for sure so all that grease is getting hot and burning off. Normal.

Remove the top plastic timing cover if you have it and verify that your timing belt is on properly.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Okay that all makes pretty good sense, thank you, your input is very greatly appreciated once again thank you very much.

When I go home later I will check the timing belt. I am fairly certain that is all lined up correctly though but of course anything can happen, so I will check it later thanks

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
I understand that, and I'm def trying all i can without having to bug you guys :)

But I just need some help diagnosing what's wrong with the car. I will try to post a video from my phone if I somehow can.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
So it idles fine? And only dies or shutters when you give it gas? Have you mess with your tps? I know it hasn't thrown A code.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Okay, I checked the timing belt and all is okay. The teeth lineup with the notches when the crank pulley is on zero.

I have not checked the TPS, but I don't think it has anything to do with that.

By chance, do you think it has anything to do with fuel? Only reason that sounds weird to me is because it starts fine and idols okay but when I give it throttle is when it's fubar.

The car has been sitting with a quarter tank of gas for about 10 months. Let me know what you think

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
it can't hurt to change out the filter and fuel. See if this sound like your symptoms. Idles good, revs fine up to 3000 or so rpms, when hits a certain rpm. It boogers and shutters, drops back down to 800 rpms or so, and ideas fine after.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Okay! I just got to the library and i'm uploading my mobile video to Youtube as I speak.

I feel this may help you guys help me out a little better with the video.

Indigo, what is that doing when I jump those two? I will try it when I get home

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Supra_dan;1862727 said:
Okay! I just got to the library and i'm uploading my mobile video to Youtube as I speak.

I feel this may help you guys help me out a little better with the video.

Indigo, what is that doing when I jump those two? I will try it when I get home

Doing that will cause the FP to operate at maximum pressure to see if it is a fuel problem.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Supra_dan;1862745 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doQoNq3Js8M&feature=youtu.be

Here is the video.

I did something that well... didn't think would work but...may have??

I ran to get some fuel injector cleaner and some more 93 octane gas...popped that stuff and well....i'll be damned. It's running!!!!!

I'm trying not to get my hopes up high and still be cautious but, I drove it around the block and all seemed well so far.

Mine does the SAME DAMN THING. It's annoying especially at stop lights or parking lots. Mine puffs black smoke sometimes though.

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Okay. Update time ladies and gents.

Drove the car around the block and all seemed well.

Gave it about 50-75% throttle and when it gets to about 2800-3200 rpm...it hits a brick wall.

It scared me at first so i back off the throttle instantly.

I pulled into me development and and just cruised down to my house. Now that I was going slower I was able to see tons of black smoke (fuel correct?) coming out of the exhaust whenever I hit around 3000 rpm (no boost either)

So basically, what is happening is that the car is running itself pig rich at times. Black smoke comes out like a bat outta hell.
Also when it's doing this, if I put the clutch in it will stall.

So I give the car about a minute before I start it up again and it is just fine. Or at least till I hit 3k rpm again.

Any inputs?

Thanks!

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
The stall seems like a vacuum leak somewhere. The hitting a wall at at 3500 seems like a tps not installed the right way. Except for the black smoke. Any codes

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Ok little, drove it around again and it's not just 3000rpm. it could be at like 2000rpm also and it just sputters. (and that is with like 5% throttle sometimes too)
OH!! A good way to describe it is like it's on a 2 step system. That's what it sounds and feels like.

I don't think it's a vacuum leak, I checked all the hoses, from what I see, they look fine.

No codes.

So, 2step action, tons of black smoke, don't think there's any vacuum leaks.

And now I found the online tsrm and tps thing but, and I feel like a complete noob for asking this, how would I even adjust it and know it's on the right setting?

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
seems to me you may also want to check the AFM. your symptoms sound like the way the car would drive with the AFM unplugged: limited to 3000rpm, limited in how much the throttle will open before car bogs down, and running rich condition to compensate for unknown air volume (fuel calculations based on throttle/spd/rpm?).

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Okay, you can't visual test vacuum lines. Is the CEL flashing? Any CEL codes?

Black smoke is rich, very rich.

An easy way to adjust your TPS is turn the TPS so that you've got the TPS CEL then slowly turn it back until the code goes away. You have to key off/on for it to realize anything changed.