Starting problem need help!!

Zer0Suvivers

Apr 25, 2009
California
OK so heres my problem.. so i had a massive oil leak. my front main seal wasnt the right size. so i went ahead and changed the front main seal, oil seal and the timing belt.. and it was idling at 650 before i did all this. but the timing belt was catching the oil and throwing it everywhere. i have no upper timing cover. but anyways. i got it all back together. and its all at tdc. and the belt is tight and everything.. but when i go to start it. it turns over but wont start. it trys to but nothing. the plugs are sparking, and im getting fuel you can smell it. but it wont idle.

Ive tryed playing with the cps. but nothing. sometimes a little backfiring. i checked the intake pipes and all that.. and today i checked out the intake side. and found a vcv that the wires are broken and some hoses not plugged in. im in the midst of figureing that out. since there are two vcv's on the intake side..

what do you think could be the problem. any and all help is much appereciated.
I really want to get my supra running! I missing out on the rest of the summer!

thanx again guys/girls

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I'll bet it's timing...do this:

- Make sure the #1 cylinder is at TDC...place a small diameter wooden dowel or chopstick in the spark plug hole. When it gets to max height turning the crank damper, you hit TDC.
- When the above happens, the damper should be pointing at "zero".
- Both cam gears should be pointing at the index marks on the back plate at the same time.
- Everything lined up above, the CPS should look like this:

CPS Align.jpg

For the VSV vac line routing:

vacuum_2h.gif

Zer0Suvivers

Apr 25, 2009
California
alright. the vac line diagram helped a ton. thanks!!

and well i did get my car running.. for a day... and now its cranking and wanting to start. my cps is kinda toast. where the terminals come up and there is a rubber coating keeping the copper wire insulated... yeah thats all gone.. do you guys think that could be my problem?? or mbbe my maf going out..

when it was running it took a little to start idling normally. like it wasnt firing at all plugs.. im going to change the plugs. and try again.

And if anyone knows how to reset the tps. lemme know how. and if anyone has a cps they are willing to sell for a reasonable price. im a broke supra owner. lol unless you wanna trade for some stock 1987 n/a parts. i have a clean title shell i got for free for parts for my 90. so i took what i needed. but almost all the engine is there besides a bunch of cut connectors.

and once again all help is much appereciated