Starter question

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
Ok, so my car wont start, the solenoid clicks, but no cranking. So I took out the starter to get it tested, and there was a wire hanging off of it that wasn't connected to anything. It is by the cable that connects the solenoid and the starter motor, its a black wire with a yellow line and has a female crimp like connector on the end. Does anyone have any idea what this wire is for, or where it goes? I looked all over that area of the engine and engine bay for something, and couldn't find anything. Oh, and its a 86.5 if that matters. Thanks.

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Could that be a ground connector that may have broken off of your starter? I didn't check to see what color mine was, but that's what it made me think of... Those pieces are flimsy as hell and break if you're not babying it taking the starter out, and without the right ground your voltage won't come through right and may not crank up to par..

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
Your starter not working could be alarm related. I don't remember exactly how to reset it and all that jazz because I removed mine a long time ago. do a search and I'm sure you'll find something. I believe the alarm kills the starter if it's tripped because when you remove the alarm there is a wire you have to ground for the starter. As for that wire, take a picture and post it.

Here's a link regarding information on the alarm. These cars are old, and the alarms tend to be a pain in the ass. Start here before you go pullin anything out.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1515#post1515

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
89Joe;1334059 said:
Your starter not working could be alarm related. I don't remember exactly how to reset it and all that jazz because I removed mine a long time ago. do a search and I'm sure you'll find something. I believe the alarm kills the starter if it's tripped because when you remove the alarm there is a wire you have to ground for the starter. As for that wire, take a picture and post it.

Here's a link regarding information on the alarm. These cars are old, and the alarms tend to be a pain in the ass. Start here before you go pullin anything out.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1515#post1515

My alarm is already gone........