Stalling after replacing afm

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
My old afm died so a bought another from a member on here. It seems to be working good except when the car goes back down to idle it just dies. Its not throwing any codes.

Any ideas of what it could be?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The ISCV, it's air path, or the check valve under it is clogged up. Or, the ISCV is not working....does it click open when you shut down? (should be able to hear it)

I assume you cleared any previous codes.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You removed the ISCV and check valve to clean both? How did you clean the check valve?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The ISCV has a check valve under it to prevent reverse flow to the accordion hose under boost. As a test (only...don't run this way) remove the ISCV, remove the check valve, reinstall ISCV and start. If it does not stall, replace the check valve with a new one. The ISCV hoses are routed to the accordion hose with no leaks?

Is this stalling only when cold?

BTW - it's ok to write more than 10 words explaining what is going on here. ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Code 11 masks all other codes when it is present...I saw you had this previously (you could have told me). You cleaned the ECU grounds going to the intake manifold?

Seriously, if you want help you are going to need to be more forthcoming with info, history, etc. It's getting old fast asking questions.

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
Well im sure I will be told im wrong with this because of who is posting i here, but I had a problem like this after an AFM swap thinking my old AFM was bad. Swapped to a known good one from a friends car and still kept stalling. After checking and rechecking everything in the intercooler piping for leaks and from the 3000 pipe to the accordion tube via the BOV, my problem ended up being a bad ground from the AFM. It was the Brown (i believe that was the color) wire off the AFM. It had a poor failing connection near the CPS. After I repaired the connection I never had a problem again. Just an idea though.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
rawmk3;1410558 said:
Well im sure I will be told im wrong with this because of who is posting i here

Completely uncalled for. If you have a beef with me, take it to SupraCentral...otherwise, keep this kind of crap out of here.

Oxedizer

Jul 19, 2009
England
jdub is right mate, he is the legend!

He is here to help. I got loads of help from him. Yes I am a newb, and yes I only had my car for 13 days, but I was reading this forum for days on end to research a new engine. So all of my posts where to the point and fully explained to the best of my abilities. :)

Anyhow rant over. Any chance that you could re-assemble your old afm set-up and note the difference.

Matt.

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
It was dumping mass amounts of fuel with the old afm. BTW i reset the ecu and code 11 went away. I checked the wire (which was thought to be brown) and it's fine.

Oxedizer

Jul 19, 2009
England
I am sure you know why code 11 was there.

By any small chance... Did you connect the PS idle up hose at the bottom of the accordion?
I have forgotten it once and died at idle. Are there any mishaps when starting the car?

What's the "idle" like at a steady 1500rpm?

Matt.

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
I checked and I didnt forget about the vacuum line. When you start the car it will idle around 1100 for about 5 seconds then go down to about 750 rpm.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That is perfectly normal...I am confused...when does it die?

Keep something else in mind...when you clear codes, many will not come back until the car is run. It is always a good idea to recheck for codes after a clear code-start-run cycle.

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
When im driving then i put it in neutral to slow down and stop it idles for about 3-5 seconds then dies. It sounds like it would if you turned the key off. I took the iscv and cleaned it. Im letting it idle right now, im about to take it out to test.

Oxedizer

Jul 19, 2009
England
Small chance: Intake manifold gasket leak...

I am talking out my arse now, I will let jdub commence with the advice from now on.

Before I retire for my bed, it seems like the car is being flooded after start, however you mention that it will run fine with your foot on the accelerator but soon as its left to idle under TCCS control the car stalls?

I am out of ideas, but crap fuel? you guys run on 95 RON. Can you be certain that the car was running "fine" before your newer AFM was installed? If you could... listen to the engine at high idle ie 1.5k+ for misses and hissing noises. Rough high idle, as vac will still be effective? failing that... hail jdub.

Regards,
Matt.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I am having the same issues dies soon as you let off throttle, but idles fine before you do so. Not stealing thread just hoping your problem and mine get solved.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
any particular places? i have checked almost evey inch of hose. What is the valve on the accordionjust in front of the turbo? When i took the car out (the only time) it seemed to had good boost psi, 5 or 6psi. the only thing is it will not stay running when let off throttle. I have checked the dashpot afm, get code 31, tps, cps, engine vacuum, fuel psi. I recently noticed that my alt is not charging at idle? can this be causing an issue with ecu, or any sensors? it does charge off idle at 14.2. I put a working used alt on the was charging fine at idle, rev car up let off stayed running? then it went to not charging no blown fuse and no battery light? any ideas?

BTW sorry for the thread knapping. but maybe you have some of the same issues. we can all help eachother thanks