squeeky brakes

Chard

Oct 11, 2005
Fairfax, VA
They stop really well (Porterfield R4s pads with Brembo blanks/Goodridge SS lines); no complains there but they sometimes squeek. I mean a high pitch sounding squeek.

Do you guys experience these problems for those who use them and would they go away after so many miles? Just installed them and probably put only 60 miles at the most.

Thank you.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Did you break the pads in?

I had similar issues with trd carbon ceramic pads. I drove normally and stopped normally. They started squeaking so i sanded them a tad and dd some hard braking and it went away.

Most high performance pads need hard stops when first installed.

Chard

Oct 11, 2005
Fairfax, VA
The pads and rotors are both brand new. Like I said, no problem with the stopping part. Just annoying for the squeeky part. I guess I just need to break them in first. Hehe, got only 60 miles so far. Thanks guys.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
My EBC redstuff pads are doing this now, even with sound damping pads installed and tons of Brake Quiet damping goo on them. They were quiet when new so who knows. You may have success with the Brake Quiet product, but you must let it dry overnight before reinstalling the pads.

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
Moy;1563402 said:
Alright, but what about those people that prefer to have a shop do their brakes? I've never heard of a shop giving brake in steps for new brakes...

i work part time at a sears auto center (college student) and they do nt instruct you on how to break in your brakes..but they do it for you. after the brakes are done you will see the techs going close to sixty and then stopping..they circle the parking lot we work in about 5 times doing stops and go's. im assuming they do this at all sears auto centers.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
aside from type of pads that are noisy, i've found that if you don't have the hardware installed and correctly they will be noisy

ebondragon87

Nov 6, 2007
Aurora, Colorado
As far as I know most brake pad made now days do not need to be broken in due to a process performed on the pads when they are made. I have un-done more brakes-plus and other $100-all-4-wheel brake replacement places then I would care to ever think about (since I work for Toyota) and the number one cause of noise is the lack of the shim kit for the pads. Other than that if you are going to buy performance pads you had better be ready for at least some squeeking/squealing.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Um... wrong. Break in is NOT simply the resins boiling out of the pads (though that's a large part of it), it's the pad depositing friction material onto the rotor.