Squeaky brake problem [Pics]

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
Hey guys

So my brakes make unbearable squeaking noises when I press the pedal halfway down. Full pressure results in no noise what so ever. I pulled of my wheels today and looked at the rotors.

The right rotor where the squeaking seems to be coming from has a section that the left rotor doesn't have. This extra level on the rotor has caused an indentation on the brake pad. The left pad does not have this indentation. It seems as if the right rotor is defective, its not supposed to have that extra section. Am I correct in assuming so?Ive put the pads back on and they havnt squeaked yet...however I have a feeling that the problem will reoccur.

right rotor

p1793998_1.jpg

left rotor - doesnt have that extra section on the inside

p1793998_2.jpg

Right brake pad

p1793998_3.jpg

Would I need to purchase new rotors to permanently fix the problem?

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
first things first, how much material is left on the pads? how is the wear on the pads, are they wearing straight across or diagonally? i suggest you get both rotors new for piece of mind. just my .02 and make sure you get that other wheel stud!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Poodles;1794045 said:
Missing stud and no chamfer on the brake pads...

Holy crap man, FIX THAT STUD!

Once you've fixed that, you likely need some new rotors and pads. As poodles said, yours dont have the chamfer most pads will have. Those can help curb some brake noise. Do yourself a favor and make these a priority. That missing stud is asking for trouble and your brakes dont look too healthy either.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Missing the shims on the back of the pads. They make a world of difference, in squeaky brakes.