Speedometer Question

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
I searched but couldn't find what i was looking for. My speedometer stopped working and i m looking to change it soon, Is there a TSRM on changing the speedometer ?? I never done it and don't want to screw stuff up.

Would like to know if there is a HOW to change speedometer thread or TSRM on it ??

Thanks

charleyk

Wrench Turning Pgmr
Apr 3, 2007
new jersey
Before, you change the speedometer, you might want to check the small speedometer cable that connects to tranny. They do break and it's the easiest place to start. There are 2 cables and this one is the short one.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
id check the cables first to. but if you pull the cluster out, jack up the rear end off the ground and try to drive, if the end of the cable dont spin, its a broken cable.

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
thanks guys for the insight.... Last year when i was getting my exhaust done, the shop dude was pulled the cable and it broke, so we tapped it and it worked fine, it didn't give me issues until now. Im pretty sure its the short cable that's broken. But I m very picky with my car, i rather replace the whole cable to have a piece of mind instead of a short piece. It's like a chick with one tit boob job done that looks like shit as to where id rather like to see two nice titties

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Naw the short shaft is like 20 bucks. As long as the long one is still good no reason to replace it. More work than whats needed.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I also had the plastic gear piece that goes in the transmission go out, the one the cable plugs into. It could be that if the cable is in good condition.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
In my experience, the only time I will EVER replace a speedo cable again is if I have the dash out for some OTHER reason as well. But as all have said before, it helps to have two people here, one to spin the cable, and one to watch and see if anything's happening. As always with things like this, start small. No reason to replace that big cable unless you HAVE to, right? I could have the small one out and swapped in 10 minutes, the big one though? Probably a few hours at least.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Fasi, the short cable is around 10 bucks. the longer one less than 90. especially when ordering with Curt

longer one is a pain to replace only because you have to route part through the wiring mess behind the dash

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
So can anyone guess why there is 4 pieces in this picture ??

p1723295_1.jpg

p1723295_2.jpg

p1723295_3.jpg

p1723295_4.jpg

So i took out my short cable and picked up a new cable from Curt at Elmhurst. End result, My Speedometer works again!!!