Speedometer is acting up

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
So when the car is very cold, I have an issue with the speedo having a mind of its own. I head a slight grinding noise and and the speedo will shoot all over the place. The Speedo cable is brand new (2-3 months old). Im thinking its that the actual speedo , maybe the lube in the speedo is old and dried out. ANyone re-lube the speedometer? What lube should I use?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Drive gear in good condition?
New cables still tucked behind the heat shields?

The speedo works on a specific friction between two surfaces, so i dont know if a simple lube job will do the trick. Depending on how many times you want to remove and install the gauges, I might try it once, if that doesent work, just look for a lower mileage unit. As it seems they all get "bouncy" on the higher mileage cars.

steveyblack

Jun 21, 2007
Nj
mkiiichip;1782031 said:
Drive gear in good condition?
New cables still tucked behind the heat shields?

The speedo works on a specific friction between two surfaces, so i dont know if a simple lube job will do the trick. Depending on how many times you want to remove and install the gauges, I might try it once, if that doesent work, just look for a lower mileage unit. As it seems they all get "bouncy" on the higher mileage cars.

yeah im afraid that its not just a simple lube job. I only have 78k on this car so finding a unit with around the same miles will be tough