Speedometer cable help

hcorea

May 10, 2009
Kansas
www.cardomain.com
Well my speedometer stopped working and I'm trying to figure out why but I'm not exactly an auto know it all. Does anyone have any pics of where the speedo cable is in the firewall and under the car? Because I've googled it and searched on the forum and all I've found is how to fix it not where it actually is....

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
If you get under the car, you CAN'T miss it. It's a huge thick cable, at the transmission you're going to see it in two pieces, I believe on the RH side of the car (passenger side) .. hard to miss. It unscrews from the transmission like a hose almost.

From the tranny it travels up the passenger side, and I believe it enters the firewall on the drivers side.. if my memory serves me correct ;)

-Mike

hcorea

May 10, 2009
Kansas
www.cardomain.com
Ok, nvm I found the cable, and it's connected into the firewall. What I remember was that the speedo in the guage cluster used to fluctuate alot at low speeds and then when i got a new belt it stopped working. What I figure is that the bottom half of the cable is broken since it had been showing signs before, so I think I'm just going to get a new speedo cable to connect to the transmission. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
well putting a new belt on wouldn't have had anything to do with your speedo cable breaking. but i would disconnect the bottom half of the cable and pull it out and see if you can turn the cable thats inside the housing, if you can't replace the bottom section, if you can turn in check each end and make sure the ends are still good. if that checks out then it must be the upper section.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
It has a spot where the long end of the cable disconnects from the short end. Start at the transmission and trace it down about a foot or two. There is a section where the two pieces unscrew. Over time it does become difficult to unscrew. Check which end will/will not turn and determine which side to replace. Driftmotion.com has both ends. I just ordered the short end since mine is broken on the transmission side right before they screw together, but the long end is fine. Cost me $12 plus shipping.

The transmission side has a 12mm spot for an open ended wrench, and I just held the other side with a pair of pliers since the grooves work well with the teeth on the pliers to hold it in place. Unscrew like a bottle cap.

So at this moment, This is the next thing that needs fixing on my wife's MA70. I know where the spedo cable is located at and all that, but I would like to know how to disconnect the cable that goes through the firewall and hooks up to the back portion of the gauge cluster. Do i need to disassemble the whole entire thing? The sooner I can get this fixed the less I'll be worried about her getting a speeding ticket. LoL
Pix would be awesome or even a video.

Thanks.