Speedo jumping

enjoyer

Mar 28, 2009
Lithuania, Klaipeda
Hi, i did a search, but coudn't find an answer. My speedo is jumping a bit. When i decelerate it goes down unevenly, with a bit of jumping up and down. But not by much. Same thing happens when i'm driving at steady speed. Speedo arrow tends to jump about 1cm up and down. It is more noticable at lower speeds. The car is 7m-gte and has a manual r154 tranny. Can i be certain it's the speedo cable?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It usually is...disconnect from the tranny and oil it by holding it up to let the oil run it's length inside.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ Yep...if the speedo cable is too close to the downpipe, it will melt the plastic cable liner. Mine actually froze in place when I shut down and it cooled off...then the cable twisted and snapped. Replacing a speedo cable is a PITA...the cluster has to come out.

Hopefully, oiling will work.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
So wishful thinking. Hope for the lower one.. I remember on this 87t it only took 15 min to change.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
ok. so i have had a similar problem. my speedo is not only jumpy but it is also noisy. i have tried taking the cable off(from tanny) and oiling it, twice. i have inspected the cable and nothing seems to be melted. also, i took the gauge cluster out, moved the speedo cable away from the connection to the gaugue then drove for a bit. the speedo didnt work(obviously) and there was no noisy(squeaking) which leads me to believe that it is the gauge itself, not the cable. any ideas?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
7M-KDL;1324174 said:
ok. so i have had a similar problem. my speedo is not only jumpy but it is also noisy. i have tried taking the cable off(from tanny) and oiling it, twice. i have inspected the cable and nothing seems to be melted. also, i took the gauge cluster out, moved the speedo cable away from the connection to the gaugue then drove for a bit. the speedo didnt work(obviously) and there was no noisy(squeaking) which leads me to believe that it is the gauge itself, not the cable. any ideas?

the plastic tab that drives the speedo (very end of the cable behind the cluster) is probably broke:-(

Side note: I just got my new speedo cable from the local dealer...both halves $120 total...not very expensive!

My needle was jumping and making noise also...I haven't even checked what's wrong...I just heard so many people describe the effects of a cable dieing so I just ordered both pieces so I don't have to screw around.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
gaboonviper85;1324191 said:
the plastic tab that drives the speedo (very end of the cable behind the cluster) is probably broke:-(

Side note: I just got my new speedo cable from the local dealer...both halves $120 total...not very expensive!

My needle was jumping and making noise also...I haven't even checked what's wrong...I just heard so many people describe the effects of a cable dieing so I just ordered both pieces so I don't have to screw around.

alright thanks. have you installed you new cable? if not, could you take a picture of this "tab" that may have broken and what it is supposed to look like. mine has a greenish cylinder looking thing behind the cluster... thanks a lot

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
7M-KDL;1324194 said:
alright thanks. have you installed you new cable? if not, could you take a picture of this "tab" that may have broken and what it is supposed to look like. mine has a greenish cylinder looking thing behind the cluster... thanks a lot

It's just a rectangular piece of plastic that's sorta melted onto the cable that drives the speedo...I don't have it yet (just got the call yesturday that is in)...tomorrow I'll be picking it up and I'll get you a picture...either way it's not replaceable and you need to buy a new upper cable if that is indeed the case.

It's the thing dead centre of the green/yellow cylinder that spins.