Speedo Issue

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
What could cause your speedo to go out. I put in a brand new lower cable in Nov., and just now on my way home my speedo stopped working again. The first time it stopped working i thought it was due to the fact that the cable was 20yrs old, but now I'm wondering WTF this thing is brand freakin new.

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
is there a write up on how to change the upper speedo cable cause I'm pretty sure that is the one that has broken. Do I need to take the gauge cluster out, or any other tips?

mensrea

Sep 6, 2009
Schofield Barracks, HI
put an electric drill to the end of the upper cable, have a friend climb in the cab and watch the speedo as you rotate the cable with it. if the needle moves up, than there is nothing wrong with the cable, and most likely the plastic gear/thingy in the tranny is dead. If you happen to find a part # for that, let me know, 'cause I need one, lol

Last edited:

mensrea

Sep 6, 2009
Schofield Barracks, HI
from what I read, it should be pretty easy to replace if you got jack stands/lift.
I'll give you a part number when mine arrives. Can't remember it off the top of my head, box should have it thu.

Smartparts

Dec 14, 2010
CT
It could be the upper or lower cable. Your actual speedometer in the cluster or the drive gear inside your tranny. Mine cable broke at the portion that inserts into the drive gear so ill need a new lower cable

hatchet9mm

Aug 1, 2008
USA
I checked my lower cable, and I changed the gear that can come out of the trans, so that leaves the upper cable or the actual gauge, but could it actually be the other gear that is fixed in the transmission?