Spec vs ACT

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
So I'm looking to buy a new clutch for my 1989 Mk3 7mgte, Looking to get about 500 Whp once it's all done.

Clutch Options:

ACT:
Torque rating of 522 ft/lbs.
Disc Material Ceramic

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-ts2-hdg6.php

Spec:

Torque rating of 520 ft/lb
Carbon-Graphite Friction Material

http://www.coolcarpartsonline.com/c...utches/toyota-supra-86-92-spec-clutch-stage-3

Which should I go with? I was wondering which would hold up better and better quality. Also the diference between Ceramic and Carbon? Durability?

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I have a Spec stage 2 and never had a problem with it. Not sure if the controversy is still around, but when I was researching clutches some people said that Spec uses an OEM PP painted blue. The pedal feel with my stage 2 is no different than stock.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
From what what I know all of them use stock pressure Plates but there suppose to be modified for higher clamping.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Yes Sir

Daily driven once in a while and weekend Drag Racer, im a really heavy foot though.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Get a better clutch then. It is better to get something that is not just a little above what you need. The reason for this is because drag racing and slipping the clutch adds a lot of heat and stress, so if you are making 500TQ, get a clutch for 600TQ. It is the same concept as fuel, always want more than you need.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
IBoughtASupra;1799656 said:
I actually have a HPF clutch disk and ACT pressure plate that will hold all the power you have/plan to make before needed a twin disk.

How much does that HPF setup run for?

Good point on getting a higher rated Tq clutch setup, would be nice to have something a bit more reliable.

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
IBoughtASupra;1799656 said:
I actually have a HPF clutch disk and ACT pressure plate that will hold all the power you have/plan to make before needed a twin disk.

Is that sprung or unsprung? what is the engagement like? any chatter?

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
I'm running the ACT XT pp with 6-puck sprung disk. My little torque-less 1JZ is making about 500lb/ft and its holding up great, street friendly..not so much better start working out your left leg