Spec twin disc clutch, what do you think ?

peer648

Mar 4, 2010
Québec
7mgte, r154
Getting ready to buy a twin disc clutch. My choice is pretty much set on SPEC twin disc clutch, got few question before committing to it.

Does anybody as something bad to say about it ?
What clutch material should I pick ?
I want something that will hold good, ready to sacrifice a little drivability for it. Looking for 500-600 this summer, maybe more in few years. Super street twin, fiber disc, is the one i would pick. What do you guys think ?
Details on drivability ?
Thanks

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I own a P-trim spec twin and it held all the power I could throw at it (~800whp, ~700wtq). It did no-lift shifts, burnouts, drag launches, and everything without fail.

The things I didn't like about it were the unsprung discs, they made for rough street driving. It also has an Aluminum flywheel, so it's not the best for drag racing, doesn't store a lot of energy compared to Steel/chromoly.

The things I likes a lot were the master cylinder and hydraulic release bearing. You can pull the trans without futzing with the pressure plate, which makes replacing your R154 easier after you break it at the strip.

Wre I to do it again, I'd spend the little extra and grab an OSGiken clutch, probably a TR2CD so it's more streetable, while still holding the power.