Spec Clutches

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
Hey Im in the search for a new clutch (doing engine swap) i searched and i saw that quiet a few of you guys are using spec clutches and i have a friend that can hook me up with a spec clutch. So my question is i want to build the car to run low 13's high 12's probably 400hp at the wheels, so which stage should i go with, if you guys recommend anything else let me know.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
stage 3 sprung. i run that in my car as a daily driver and love it. either the stage 2 or 3 is going to be a great choice for you.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
My stage 2 is a full face and is rated to 460 ft.lbs. They also have the + clutches that are like hybrids between the stages. I would say any stage above 2.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
spec stg 3 here and i love it. it was in my buddys car for a year took a beating then in my car for a year and a few months so far, and it still grabs like a mofugga. im around 320rwhp now and 13.4 @ 104 was best time with stock CT. haven't got to run the new setup yet.

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
I have the Stage 3, it started slipping at over 500 wheel torgue... but it's holding great even over it's torgue rating.. Great bang for the buck clutch

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
thanks guys that is exactly what i needed to know. second question how miles did u guys take to break it in, and how did u go about breaking it in?

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
ps on that break in....those are city miles, highway doesnt count. its not as hard as you think, just drive like a granny for 2 tanks of gas and your golden

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Me and Dr Jones have both fried our Spec clutches. Mine was a stage 2 and his a stage 3. Mine ran great at the track with mid 400rwhp and hard launches. But one little split second mis-shift burned it up for good. The Spec held great on the street, but I'm not sure if its up to dragracing abuse.

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
MRSUPRA said:
Me and Dr Jones have both fried our Spec clutches. Mine was a stage 2 and his a stage 3. Mine ran great at the track with mid 400rwhp and hard launches. But one little split second mis-shift burned it up for good. The Spec held great on the street, but I'm not sure if its up to dragracing abuse.

Did Dr jones burn his up at the track as well, and how many pass did u guys get out of these clutches. oh and what rpm were u lauching at?

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I beleive DR J had many passes on his before it broke. I ran mine about 30 times at the track before my 3 to 2 shift at 90mph. It was just dissapointing to me that it would not hold any kind of launch after that mis-shift.

I now have the horsepowerfreaks bronze clutch. But I have had problems with that too; The clutch disc welded its self to the flywheel. Fun stuff..

stokeless

supra-man
Apr 5, 2005
michigan
get the clutchnet ez-prolock. best clutch yet! i used to have the spec stage 2 and it was crap... ran 4-5 full street pulls and it started to slip.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
yea my Spec 3 is now starting to give. i banged 3rd-4th gear on the highway and it started to slip so im not sure what to go with. i was thinking spec 3+ mvpmotorsports has it for $595 i think it is and 935 says it holds to 710 ft/lbs.....

but then again i was thinking aout going RPS or HPF bronze but i have searched on here for an hour and read that 6 people have welded it to the flywheel.....

so now im caught btween RPS MAXX 3200 and the Spec 3+

poppincaps88

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Have a friend that runs an RPS clutch on his car. You definitely won't be dissapointed. Really great all around clutch. Takes launches like a champ and the overall streetability is great.