Spec clutch problems?

$pecialk91Turbo

Apr 10, 2005
Tampa
Has anyone had any problems with spec clutches failing prematurely? I bought my stage 1 about 2 years ago when I did a tranny swap and I've only put about 10,000 miles on it. I don't usually drive it hard because I've been pulled over it Tampa about 15 times now for my exhaust, but the other day I was stretching her legs a little and it started to slip at full boost.. this sucks.

I make 267rwhp and I think it was about 280ft-lbs. The clutch has been awesome untill now.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes I have heard of Spec clutches failing prematurely.

But I have zero experience with them personally, so it's really just hearsay at this point. For all I know, the bad spec clutches I've seen were piss-poot install jobs. I wouldn't take my opinion to mean anything :)

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
i dont like spec, i almost went that route.

go with clutchmasters, competition, etc.
i have the HPF bronze clutch

i do hear Spec has very good customer service, u should call them.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
oscolivar1 said:
i do hear Spec has very good customer service, u should call them.

Highly agree, I emailed them with a problem and the next morning i had a reply by someone out there that seemed VERY intent to help me.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
How's that aluminum flywheel holding up? Did you take it easy for a break in period? How much torque is the stage 1 rated for?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
xarewhyayen said:
How's that aluminum flywheel holding up? Did you take it easy for a break in period? How much torque is the stage 1 rated for?

A stage one is rated for 400 ft lbs, which a bpu 7m should be close to the max on a stage 1. For a bpu set up you should be running a stage 2.

LumbChuck

Jan 16, 2006
Charleston, SC
I just installed A SPEC Stage 2 with a Fidanza Flywheel, I have about 1500 miles on it, haven't had any problems. I thought I did good in buying the SPEC, sorry you are having problems, I hope I dont.

$pecialk91Turbo

Apr 10, 2005
Tampa
I emailed SPEC and someone responded very quickly.. He told me that if you let organic clutches sit for long periods (especially in high humidity) they may fail prematurly. He said the good thing is that everything else should be like new.. so he suggested just getting a stage 2 disc to replace it.. which is like $180.

It will be interesting to see how the flywheel looks once I get it apart.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
$pecialk91Turbo said:
I emailed SPEC and someone responded very quickly.. He told me that if you let organic clutches sit for long periods (especially in high humidity) they may fail prematurly. He said the good thing is that everything else should be like new.. so he suggested just getting a stage 2 disc to replace it.. which is like $180.

It will be interesting to see how the flywheel looks once I get it apart.

Interesting, good to know.