Spec 2+ Clutch Question (pics inside)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I am attaching photos of the Spec 2+ Clutch I have for my car. (less than 5000 km on it)

Just wondering what your guys thoughts are on this clutch. I found it seemed to hold very well, however I had a shudder when starting and when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st.

There is an odd wear area on the disc itself and one corner looks like it is cracked/flaking (I have a red arrow pointing to it). It is possible that the mechanic bumped it when taking it off, can't think of any other reason for it to look like that.

The lines on the clutch are towards the inside (red arrows again) and its just a very odd area to wear. Not sure if it was coming in full contact with the metal.. just seems odd.

Any thoughts?

Photos below:

IMG_0696a.jpgIMG_0697a.jpgIMG_0698a.jpgIMG_0699a.jpgIMG_0700a.jpgIMG_0701a.jpgIMG_0702a.jpg

I am installing the Spec 2+ Pressure plate with a OEM clutch disc for now. I don't want to risk using the SPec 2+ clutch disc because:
a. It shudders... (not sure why)
b. I prefer the full face of the OEM disc.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
No way an OEM clutch disk is going to hold your power goals even with the extra clamping force of the spec pressure plate.
Actually, you are going to be close to the limit of the stage 2+ clutch. I say deal with the chatter and hope the 2+ holds or look for a twin disk.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Spec 2+ is max 500 torque I think and I believe I will be near that with the setup I have. That doesn't mean I'm going to be running full out but I do like to overbuild slightly to be safe.

I have never had a car this powerful, so this is all new to me. I have to decide this week on what I do. Having a weak clutch on my newly rebuilt r154 isn't a happy place for me.

The chatter that typical 6 pucks give (that I have felt in the past) isn't bad. This is not like that, this is more if a shudder, like it's slipping on normal engagement and worse at start. Almost feels like hot spots, but I don't see anything seriously wrong visually.

What clutch setup should I throw on this girl?

Comparing the AISIN OEM sprung clutch it looks like it has more friction area and actually looks beefier than the spec 2+ disc. I was fairly sure it would be enough with the higher clamp force.

What should I get instead? I'm not the type to just "live with" an "adequate" setup. Normally money isn't an object but I'm a bit over budget on this right now. That doesn't mean I can't find the extra to do it right, though.

Keeping in mind, this is street only and I'm trying to keep as close to a stock pedal feel as possible, what clutch should I run?

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I've been looking at clutches and have been meaning to call centerforce and ask what the max torque is on their 6puck Clutch.... But I haven't gotten around to it....

http://www.centerforce.com/products...name/clutch-cover-disc-for-86-92-toyota-supra
They also have a dual friction

I don't know of anyone who has used one in a supra or if it would hold your power but I've ran centerforce in every pickup I've owned and loved them! maybe someone on here has run one??

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Centerforce are excellent, not sure about for Turbo high powered though because I have not heard of anyone running it.

All Spec, RPS and ACT do is add a heavier spring for increased clamp force. From research, the rest is disc makeup (material). This is a complex area really compared to all my other decisions because it's not discussed much compared to other upgrades. I want to avoid high dollar clutch solutions but at the same time want to protect my tranny and engine from running with a poor setup.

Budget wise, I'm best staying with single disc, plus I'm not running with great hook tires. My current rubber will break free too fast so I have less risk of harshness on my trans.

I hate having to make quick decisions. I may stay with the spec 2+ until I can pay off some of my upgrades and afford a twin disc setup ( mores costly to do it twice...)