Spearco intercooler install help

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I am getting a Spearco intercooler tomorrow and would like some pics of them installed I tried looking them up and got pics of them mocked up on the car with no pipes connected and such. I read that it bolts right into the stock location and don't even need to remove the bumper I hope this is true lol. The part that seems like it will be tricky is the top end tank for the intake it seems like I will need a short piece of pipe and a coupler for it. If you guys can post up your installed Spearco intercoolers I would greatly appreciate it as well. Thanks.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I am a visual person it helps me get a better understanding if I can see how it's setup it helps me with the fine details like how much room I have to work with, what length pipe, etc. It's a real Spearco intercooler from what I have read and can tell in the few pictures I've seen I will need a short piece of pipe and an extra 90 degree coupler for it to reach the top inlet.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
91, I can understand what works for y'all won't work for me but it can help give me an idea. I'll just figure it out when I get it tonight.

IchibanEye

Supramania Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
The Honeycomb Hideout
Sorry to hear no one posted a picture. If I had one i would take some pictures for you, it only takes a few minutes. Good luck with the install it will turn out o.k. for you.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Sorry I figured when I said it's a real Spearco that would answer it lol it is same side and I do not think it's coming with hardware I bought it used and the owner had it on his old MK3 it's just the core itself I already have piping installed.

Thanks IchibanEye

SeeUSmile

Nov 22, 2012
Australia,Victoria,Melbourne
3p141592654;2020500 said:
The 89+ intercooler piping is different from 87-88. Not sure what you have, but a generic solution doesn't really exist.

What were the differences between the piping 3p? noticed the gt limited on mine which i bought with no motor doesn't have the intercooler end tanks facing the same way, more similar to a 1jz setup.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Google this. supra spearco same side intercooler. First picture that pops up is the one you need. I hope it comes with the brackets.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea it came with the brackets I forgot to post a picture in here for y'all I picked it up last night. My cat always inspects my parts, going to clean it before installing of course but my piping is from CX Racing so it is a little different than the one you found on google but shouldn't be difficult to figure out if I can get like a 2 or 3 inch piece of pipe.
10606312_10202794997338198_5790166893369485391_n.jpg

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The difference between the two is that the 89+ has a different outlet on the intercooler with an extra 90 deg if I remember correctly. It simplifies the piping by removing a bend.

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
Surprisingly I only took a few pictures after I installed mine, and if I don't have access to my car any time soon.
Basically I have 90* couplers off the intercooler connecting the pipes. The piping kit is the DM intercooler kit, with only one slight modification to the pipe inside the fender.

Also, I found these online when I was trying to figure out my piping and I found them helpful,

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I appreciate the pics they help a lot I realize now I need to get another 90 degree coupler for the bottom inlet because the CX racing one just goes straight and the stock intercooler has a 90 degree pipe that comes out. Seems like I will have to take it to ACE hardware and get some bolts for it.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I got the stock intercooler out with a little fiddling I tried mounting the Spearco and I must have one of the brackets mounted incorrectly or something do you guys know where the top bracket mounts to on the chassis? I figure it's the middle bracket that holds the horns.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I tried that the vertical bracket only has bolts that go from front to back and the bracket that came with the intercooler goes left and right. Seems like it's for a pre-89, so far I have added a bracket for the bottom so now it's held on with 2 bolts instead of 1 and I need to figure out how to support the top here is what my vertical bracket looks like to the left is the front of the car for reference.
10574246_10202809234254112_5346482227348869262_n.jpg