spark plug issue. gapping? fuel mixtue?

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
car: 87 turbo auto

so i am having an issue w/ my spark plugs, its misfiring and fouling my plugs,

backstory: car sat around a long time, drained 99% of all the gas, then put some fresh 91, when started car was misfiring, checked plug gap, it was at 0.041, whoa, way to big so i brought it down to .031, then the misfiring got worse, switched over to some bosh double plat plugs, also gapped those to .031 still having issue, when i pulled those plugs they were all black, so then i put in some ngk plugs, ungapped at .035, it was running fine did a few pulls around the block, and the misfiring started up again, pulled the plugs and this is what they look like, then i gapped them at .031 and the misfiring got worse again, aaahhh what am i doing wrong, also my boost only reads 5 psi, im not sure if this is stock boost for an auto or if i may have a boost leak but not a 100%, someone please help

sm_photo_missing.jpg

couldnt get a good pic but all the plugs are white

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
NEW INFO:

just checked the timing and it was WAY OFF, it was like -20/25 BTDC, i was able to get it to -15btdc (the most it would turn), which really helped, now most of the misfire is gone, theres just a very slight misfire, im assuming this is b/c the current plugs in there are fouled, right?

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Do you have a stock DP? If not you have a serious boost leak. Having said that, even with a stock DP you should see more than 5 psi....closer to 8 if my memory serves me right. As far as your plugs go....I would recommend using the NGKs and checking your timing. Have you checked your codes? If not...start there.

black91turbo

Formerly black87turbo
Apr 27, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
RPSil13;1464415 said:
NEW INFO:

just checked the timing and it was WAY OFF, it was like -20/25 BTDC, i was able to get it to -15btdc (the most it would turn), which really helped, now most of the misfire is gone, theres just a very slight misfire, im assuming this is b/c the current plugs in there are fouled, right?

Timing should be set at 12 degrees.....I would put a fresh set of plugs in it after you set your timing correctly.

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
yeah the max i could set it to was b/w 10 and 15 btdc, so ended up right around 12/13 btdc,

no codes, and an hks dp,

ill prob get new plugs tomorrow, again