sourcing 89+ knock sensor connector

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
Scotts Valley, California
The rear knock sensor wire broke off and the connector fell apart when I removed it from the sensor (the rear one near the starter). Has anyone found a source for a new connector (this would be for 89+, so the gray square type)? I've read several of the "Knock sensor rewire" threads that some reference the earlier years round connector (82219-89103), but at this point my searching has not come up with a number for the gray square type connector.

rick

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
30 minutes after my first post above...
Well. I have answered my own post here, and just found a very informative thread on supraforums, that directed me to the correct part. This connector can be found on a sub harness for the p/u and 4runner V6 knock sensor. The Toyota part number is 82219-35010. Available from Toyota, ebay, Amazon, from $13 to $29.
Or you can also just get the bare connector 90980-11166 from toyota for $8.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Or get it direct from a connector supplier.

Mfr: OEM Yazaki
Series: 090II Sealed Series
OEM P/N: 7283-1015-10

Bru

Feb 28, 2013
Tampa Bay Area
Just a word of caution. If you ever remove the starter, be careful not to snap off the knock sensor plastic that protrudes from the metal base. I've done this and from now on I use a U joint socket adapter to give me some flexibility in avoiding repeating this mistake. The other option would be to remove the knock sensor first, but that's a pain as well.

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
Just a word of caution. If you ever remove the starter, be careful not to snap off the knock sensor plastic that protrudes from the metal base. I've done this and from now on I use a U joint socket adapter to give me some flexibility in avoiding repeating this mistake. The other option would be to remove the knock sensor first, but that's a pain as well.
I think that the issue you describe with the starter and sensor is on the earlier models. I've removed my starter many times with no issue. I think the older (round sensor) is a bit longer than the later models with the square sensor. Also, I've just learned that this later sensor and connector is also used on the 1j/2jz engines as well.