Soon to be Mk3 owner!

AaronB

Aug 4, 2012
Georgia
Hey guys, I'm Aaron. I'm 18 years old and live in NY. Suddenly fell in love with the mk3 one day and I'm currently saving up a decent amount for own! I'm reading up on lots of threads in here and currently adjusting my budget (want this done right, not half-assed) Got myself a mechanics book, not a tsrm but a start, as I want to be able to work on it myself (do some basic mechanic work already). Luckily I found this place, and i'll be sure to ask the experts here if I run into trouble. Look forward to be involved in the community!

-Aaron

AaronB

Aug 4, 2012
Georgia
Well currently i share a daily with my mom (99 sebring, she may be switching cars soon). She rarely uses it so I have almost constant access.

kysus

Oct 19, 2011
London, ontairo
gunna need the daily ;) ahah
but welcome ! when you get a chance share some photos or list of features youd love !

hope to see you around the forum !

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I'll be honest with you these cars suck and always need a lot of work. Run away, run away, never look back. Definitely need a daily trust me I know, I found out the hard way. But if you still want one, my advise it to find a unmolested, very clean one with nice interior with a blown head gasket or one that needs engine work. Down here you can find them for $1000. And go from there. Pull the engine and get it rebuilt with a mhg that will put you back $3000. So for about 4000-5000 you should have a nice supra. Then from there you can mod it as you please.

AaronB

Aug 4, 2012
Georgia
Haha oh trust me, I know the world of frustration im in for. Maybe its because i'm young (or insane) but i'm prepared for all the expected work, and probably couldn't be happy without owning a mk3.

Specs wise i'm not to picky, if life was perfect i'd like a 5-speed 89-92, in black. A blue interior, or shadow grey if i could find it. My plan for the car is all money first towards reliability. I'm not using it as a track car, so I want it to run as well as I can first, than consider if a hp boost is neccesary or wanted. Also I'm mapping out to immediately retorque or get metal head gaskets as first maintence.

kysus

Oct 19, 2011
London, ontairo
I'm guessing you want 89+ because of body pieces ?
And such see I love my 87 no e testing hehehe main reason I went with that and then looks wise I can just swap all the parts hehehe

AaronB

Aug 4, 2012
Georgia
Yup i prefer the 89+ body styling, but they're all nice! I'm actually pretty lucky in my area theres quite a bit of Mk3s and 4s on craigslist, so I have pretty good pickings. Now that you mention no e testing, maybe an 87 sparks my interest hehe

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
AaronB;1863572 said:
Yup i prefer the 89+ body styling, but they're all nice! I'm actually pretty lucky in my area theres quite a bit of Mk3s and 4s on craigslist, so I have pretty good pickings. Now that you mention no e testing, maybe an 87 sparks my interest hehe

Depends what the emission laws are in your area. In Ontario cars year 87 and earlier don't have to do an emissions test. Oh and Welcome :D