Some valve spring questions

HeWhoOvercomes

Vrooom VROOOM
Apr 23, 2011
The Corner of Happy & Healthy
Hey guys. I've done a lot of searching, and I can't find much info on either of the following questions.

(Regarding Comp Cams Part# 975) So, from what I've read, these don't fit perfectly. I saw that there was some speculation over whether or not the Comp springs would wear the sides of the bore. Has anyone broken down a head that ran these springs for a while and inspected it? When I told my machinist that they wouldn't fit just like stock, he warned me that a lack of clearance around the spring might create metal shavings. :nono: In your experience, will the Comp springs cause the head to wear out faster?

(Brian Crower Springs) Do the BC springs fit more like stock than the Comp ones? I've noticed that these springs are most commonly sold in a kit with retainers. Is it possible to run these springs with the stock retainers? Safe? I know what happens if a retainer breaks. :cry:

Thanks in advance!

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I have BBC Comp springs with stock retainers. I have about 8K miles on this set up, and no known issues... yet. I haven't torn it down and see if they're rubbing the insides of the buckets though.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
The springs don't rub against the walls of the head. The stock springs fit into the stock retainers perfectly...the comp cams springs require you to almost snap the spring into the retainer. This doesn't affect performance, this doesn't affect longevity, and nothing will rub or wear the head.

You'll be fine.