Some R154 Transmission Rebuild In Progress Pictures

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
...You must 'know' which part is good to re-use or bad to through it away. And which part is expendable so you can replace every time you rebuilt !

AutoLuxLexES

Jun 13, 2011
Az
Hello All,

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but figured my question would be contribuiting to this great thread. My problem is that Ive installed the MC parts, and assembled everything back together, but am lost as to the position of the detent balls. because one of the last few steps in the TSRM is that once the shift fork shafts have been installed, it says to move #1 shift fork shaft, but i can't get it to budge using my hands. is a lot of force required to move this shift fork shaft? are there any other tips to ensure that the transmission is assembled completely before installing everything back together only to find that something is wrong?

Thanks
Charley

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Do you know the order of the detents? Here is the order, study the image. I assume you have the intermediate plate on a vice. The picture of the parts assume you are standing with the input shaft(what goes into the pilot bearing) pointing toward your left hand. Vice mounted on the table, stand on each side, you will see what I mean. Your left hand should be able to hold the pilot shaft without crossing diagonally over your chest.

After you figure that out, there are three different types of detents.
-A Steel Ball; All Are The Same (Number In Picture 33275B)
-An Oval (Number In Picture 33264B)
-A Smaller Oval (This one will shift into the shift fork SHAFT ITSELF) (Number In Picture 33264)

I found that it will take a good amount of force to move the lever but it will depend if the balls are set properly as well. When I assembled my gearbox, I greased the shafts well with blue grease. I also did that to the detents and open ball bearings. The reason I did this was the keep everything from rusting after assembly so it could sit for months AND make it easy to shift when testing if the detents work.

Make sure all the detents are set correctly according to the picture. You can use some grease to actually hold the little oval piece in the shift fork shaft when installing it so it does not fall out. Assemble the gearbox and move the shifter to all the gears to make sure they all move freely. You should be able to engage 1st, disengage 1st, engage 2nd, disengage 2nd and so on without full assembly but incorrectly installed detents will cause it to be difficult to shift into a gear, selecting multiple gears and even cause you not to be able to even select a gear.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Media/Supra/Library/EPC/Figures/MCG216.gif

AutoLuxLexES

Jun 13, 2011
Az
Ok. Thanks for that diagram, that will be of help. I know the order of all the detent balls, but it's just that each shift fork shaft has so many notches on them, I didn't want tonplace them into the wrong notch.

Thanks
Charley

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
OOOO That is easy. All you have to do is install the fork in the correct place. Let me help you out on this.

There will only be one hole on each rod where it will hold a gear shift fork in place. Use these pictures to help you out.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

harley1985

Aug 17, 2011
killeen tx
IBoughtASupra;1677105 said:
I have rebuilt so many that I just throw everything into a box, except the locking pins since they can get lost easily, and can reassemble without any problems. Thing is, when I did it the first time, I spent hours looking at the TSRM.

Don't forget the aluminum paint. The orange sealant is the correct one for the gearbox as well.

the aluminum paint, wat do u mean?