Some issues after BHG Fix

Nougie

Nov 5, 2012
CA
So guys, just got done with a buddy of mine fixing my BHG. Went with an HKS 1.2mm MHG and ARP Headstuds. Head decked and hot tanked, block gets a slight resurface. Torqued it to 90ft/lbs. Brand new oem toyota seals from bottom to top.

Everything thrown back on together. Two cranks later and she starts rite up and purrs like a kitten. Assuming there would be some smoke from the moisture/water from the BHG sure enough there is. A couple minutes later it doesnt wanna go away. Idle is fine. Just sits shy of 1200 rpms on cold start up. SOooooooo..... Here are my problems,

1. Temp in guage cluster never moved up after a couple minutes of purring.

2. The two e fans/ac condenser fans? Came on within a minute of start up? Very odd

3. Of course the smoke that still is coming out the tailpipe. It is not bad really, but its more than there should be in my honest opinion.

Conclusion- so to sum it all up this is what i believe may be wrong
1. I got the temp sensor and ac fan sensor plugs/nipples mixed up as to why the temp never moved up and also why the fans kicked in so early. So, if anyone remembers by any chance specifically which ones go where, that would be greatly appreciated!!!!
2. The white smoke is just the burning of the water/moisture from the BHG and new seal etc........so in other words, nothing i should be worried about?
Thanks a ton in advance guys! And hopefully i didnt word myself like and idiot

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
the white smoke is not the burning of the moisture from the BHG, it was decked and hot tanked......there better not be anything left in there from the BHG. Did you make sure the rings were staggered? a video might make it easier to distinguish what exactly you mean by a lot of smoke. Also did the rear timing cover go in with the block when it was decked? Sure hope so.....if not, guess what.....rip it back down and take the block in and the rear cover to be matched.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Also does the exhaust smell kind of sweet? if so, and the rear cover was not done with the block then you are possibly burning coolant since the head didnt seal right on the block

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Nougie;1913638 said:
Head decked and hot tanked, block gets a slight resurface.

And by slight resurface do you mean you scrubbed it for a few minutes with some dish soap and a old scotch brite pad you found under the kitchen sink? Or was the block disassembled and actually resurfaced?

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
yeah not much info given is there? lol. If it was hot tanked I'm guessing a full tear down, unless the shop was a shady group and screwed him on it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If coolant got into the cat it will puff white smoke a bit. Just let it run and drive it and it should go away.
Prolly mixed up the wires on the t stat housing.

Nougie

Nov 5, 2012
CA
Update guys! So fixed the temp sensor! After a good drive to break in all the seals and everything she purrs like a kitten with no smoke to speak of! idles beautifully and drives great! The fan coming on so early was a faulty ground that the wires where bunched up to. Thanks for your imput!